1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for Online English iGCSE course

Discussion in 'English' started by kaitaz, Aug 2, 2019.

1. kaitaz

kaitaz New commenter

I have been asked by my local Home Ed group if I can set up and run an online/email iGCSE English course as they are struggling. I am not an English teacher but with the right support I can turn my hand to pretty much anything.

How do I structure the course eg short, medium and long term planning
    What skills do the pupils need to learn?
    What resources should I purchase/create?

Once I'm confident I have a workable plan the next issue will be how do I practically go about online/email teaching but I'll save that for another post

Thanking everyone in advance

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Ooo - I do hope you are a qualified teacher and mean you are transferring your skills to another subject, rather than suggesting teaching is something to 'turn your hand to' just like that...more for the sake of getting helpful responses and not offending those who've worked hard to earn the status of 'teacher' than anything else...

As for your questions:
    Why do you need to do short, medium and long term planning?
    The skills will come from the specification of the exam board the students are doing (as will sample plans).
    The resources will follow from the specification.

I'm not clear if you're intending to teach the whole course - as online GCSEs exist - or just do interventions with particular students for particular skills.

As for teaching online, you might want to choose a platform designed for such a thing e.g. Udemy, or you can create your own site.

3. kaitaz

kaitaz New commenter

Thank for your reply. I am a qualified teacher with 20 years experience just not in GCSE English. From the information I have been given from the person who leads the home ed group is they would like an online/email course as that will be cheaper for each family. I have been asked to design the course so it has a natural progression rather than the families dipping in and out of online resources with no structure. I have been asked if possible to offer and one year and a two year course.

What I need, I suppose, is a squint at the short/medium term planning from someone who teaches the course so I can see what skills need to be taught and how long is spent on them. I have purchased the Edexcel student book and am aware of a current online course where the writer advocates the course is split into 10 sections and delivered over 8 months.

There are probably places online I can locate the information from but I don't have a lot of time to set this up (September start). I thought there might be a kind soul out there who would feel sorry for me and help me out..

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I just had a quick google and there are lots of online GCSE courses popping up. One of them was 285 which seemed reasonable enough, especially considering the amount of time it'll take to set one up from scratch. What's wrong with the offerings already available?