1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for English....Literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by electricsheep, Sep 16, 2011.

1. electricsheep

electricsheep New commenter

Just got a middle school teaching job - Years 5 to 7...and would greatly appreciate any links to sites where I can get good planning examples and resources for English or Literacy as they seem to call it these days....particularly Years 5 and 6. Thanks in advance.

2. electricsheep

Just got a middle school teaching job - Years 5 to 7...and would greatly appreciate any links to sites where I can get good planning examples and resources for English or Literacy as they seem to call it these days....particularly Years 5 and 6. Thanks in advance.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Middle schools will straddle the KS2 & KS3 so you're going to have to look at progression & from my experince a level 5 in Yr 6 does not equate to a level 5 when dealing with KS3, though I appreciate others may feel differently.
    Years 5 & 6 need to be looked at as a unit preparing children for their SATs at the end of year 6 and you can ensure children don't duplicate materials but just build on previous knowldege.
    Year 7 will need to follow on but with more rigour and greater expectations.
    We tended to alternate fiction with non-fiction units but it will depend on resources within your own school as to what should go into those units.

4. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

Hi, congratulations on the job! You might be interested to see the suggested unit plans for Literacy on www.emmarogers.org.uk There are some for Y5 and some for Y6.
    Good luck!

5. electricsheep

thanks for all advice and pointers in the right direction - yes, I thought that 5 and 6 would be very much about making sure they have the skills to pass the Sats...yr 7 I am ok with...just those upper primary classes...thanks again, much appreciated!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Im my experience, middle schools are very subject orientated and will have good schemes of work and planning formats in place already. Ask around at school and work with your colleagues there. There will almost certainly be other people also teaching year 5 and 6 English and so it is likely you will plan together or at least share planning.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I agree with minnieminx. When I was Literacy coordinator in a middle school for years 5 & 6 I made planning folders with suggested resources for all teachers in the two year groups. How they delivered these plans was up to them of course - they had the freedom to make any alterations they wished provided that the objectives were met, but the core was there for them and there was some consistency between the 4 classes for each year group.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We had the same when I was maths co-ord, and then rolled out into year 7 and 8. Not sure why we did 5&6 first, probably something to do with SATs!