1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

planning for english and maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sulas, Jan 7, 2012.

1. How much planning do you do for english and maths each week? A4 for a week or a day or something in between? Do you think it is necessary to make detailed plans in order to deliver quality lessons?
    Does your school have a whole school planning format for consistency and if so, how detailed is it?
    Thanks
    I have always used a minimum of planning and usually have one sheet of A4 for a week of maths and the same for english.
    Foundation - i just use medium term plans and take about 3 sheets for the half term.
    Just wondering if this is fairly standard after a few years experience.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I do my planning in a very similar way after 8 years teaching. Never more than necessary unless it makes my life easier in some way.

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Very similar to you, A4 sheet for weekly maths, english and phonics. All others on MTP either half termly or full term. However I am aware of schools which expect an awful lot more - the question being why? Who is the planning for and how will pages and pages of it support teaching and learning??

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

We have to be quite detailed in our planning. Literacy and Maths generally end up being 4-5 pages long each (in a small font - 9 or 10). It is meant to be detailed enough so that a supply teacher could just walk in and teach the lesson from the plan. It takes ages to type everything out and it's not easy to refer quickly to it in lessons because there are so many pages and words! I would much prefer to write 1-2 pages of notes so that when I was in the lesson I could go with the flow a little instead of trying to follow a script.
    When I did my PGCE one placement school had a whole school planning format where you had 5 A4 pages, one for each day of the week, and you fitted all your daily planning onto that. The downside was that you didn't have much room to annotate your plans... but I much preferred having everything in one place rather than on separate plans. At my current school I am always surrounded by paper but still have difficulty finding the plan I want!

5. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

We are expected to do detailed plans for all subjects. A4 per lesson

6. Fruitloop, you poor thing! Why?! Seems excessive- how long does your planning take you? Feel lucky that we just have a page for English, a page for maths and another for foundation subjects.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is how our school is as well. But please tell me you mean 4-5 pages for the week, not per day?

Mine end up being about a page per lesson, but I use a 12 font and there is a fair bit of white space in the tables.

8. Thanks for all the comments.

9. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

weekly plans - usually a page and a half at most.

10. We plan daily but not too great extreme. The expectation is that the LSA has clear planning for their group (not always the same group), the teacher is delivering something new (having used AfL to identify this) and the independent groups are applying a previously taught skill. Job done. Gets quicker the longer you do it and the better your subject knowledge is.
    No constant monitoring of planning like some SLT do.

11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Yes, per week! Can you imagine 4-5 pages per day?! What would you find to write to fill all that space?!