1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for EAL???

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by catpee1, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hi!
    I am a teacher in a large nursery where the intake of EAL children is quite high. I know that as being in nursery everything is very visual and interactive therefore really good for EAL children.
    Does anyone plan specific group work/time for their EAL children? We try and do a group a day. Usually goes on for about 10 minutes. Today we read a hospital story and talked about the nurses,doctors, etc from the small world role-play. We try and fit in with our theme so its relevant
    Would love to know how other nurserys or reception classes do it and get a bit of advice. Would be much appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. Are your children speakers of the same language? Do you have home language support~ ie support workers who speeak children's first language? We usually have a group of children whose first language is same with a TA who can read and discuss any new stroy or theme in their own language. We try to do this for 10 mins a day~ sometimes at storytime sometimes not. It really helps their English development if they have an understanding of theme/story first.if no home language support children are probably best in a small group with children who have good Englishfrom whom they can learn when adults not present.
    there is no really easy answer~ but we are Reception and see such a big difference between those who have had a year or more at nursery and those who have little or no experience of any nursery that I think any help you provide to support language development must be good. As you say all Nursery stuff is visual and geared up to language aquisition. Sing songs,rhymes, talk about what children are doing and develop little ditties to sing at snack time when putting coats on etc.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have children speaking a whole raft of different langauges and have no home language support. They are all at very different levels of learning English so the support is very individual. We do 1:1 sessions with some of the children who are more advanced and have particular grammatical issues to learn. Small groups with good English speakers for the rest. I still feel that we could be doing better, but have run out of places (short of TES) for help.