1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for a mixed Reception/YR 1 interview

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by adelerose94, May 1, 2020.

1. adelerose94

adelerose94 New commenter

I am having an online interview, the first part of the interview is to read a story to the children and then answer questions relating to the book I chose. I was planning to read 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar" due to the time of year and talk about the life cycle of a caterpillar into a butterfly.

I am not sure what questions I'll be asked in the interview but I wanted to create a document showing the panel how I would use the books in different area of learning. I am EYFS based and I'm not sure on how to approach planning for a mixed class.

Any advice would be appreciated!

JimmyTopham likes this.
  2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

You could be asked any number of questions. Instead of worrying about what questions, I'd just make sure you know what you're doing and why you're doing it really well so you can answer whatever they ask.
    Perhaps they'll ask about differentiation, higher attainers, next steps, links to framework, links to other areas such as writing.
    Just a few ideas as I think.

adelerose94 likes this.
  3. adelerose94

Thank you! I am planning to make a lesson plan around the story, weekly planning, continuous provision and a curriculum development plan of how I would use the book from nursery to year 2 as its an infant school.

4. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

A lesson plan and a weekly plan? And a curriculum development plan? That's a lot of planning...
    Id just have the ideas in my head and say it depended on the needs of the children. You wouldn't want to spend hours planning things for them and for it to be useless and not offer challenge.

adelerose94 likes this.
  5. JimmyTopham

JimmyTopham New commenter

I agree. Don’t spend time doing unnecessary work. Make a list of the questions you think are likely to be asked and just be really clear in your own head how you will answer them.

As long as you are confident in what you are doing, you should be fine I’m answering most questions anyway.

Good luck.

adelerose94 likes this.
  6. adelerose94

Thank you, so much for the advice it is really appreciated!

I will make notes of what I would do in class and any other questions.