1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning confusion

Discussion in 'Primary' started by regencyrob, Apr 11, 2011.

1. You could try the Heinemann 100 hours literacy and numeracy books as starting points they are not amazing but u can get the objectives laid out from them.
    LancsNGFl website have lots of planning resources!
    Try www.brendenisteaching too for some help and pointers!

2. This is not a criticism of you personally but of the people who train our teachers. Can you imagine a GP or a surgeon or a barrister, posting on a forum related to their respective professions requesting basic advice such as you have? Dear Forum, I know it sounds ridiculous but I have to carry out a tonsilectemy tomorrow and I'm not sure where to find the tonsils.....

3. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

4. Thanks for your replies.
    When planning for the Summer Term, do I take the objectives from Unit C in each of the blocks? How do I know how many weeks to spend on each block and unit?

xx

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

Summer term maths will be unit 3 of each block (assuming previous teacher has been following the units) so:
    Unit A3 (for 2 weeks)
    Unit B3 (for 3 weks)
    Unit C3 (for 2 weeks)
    Unit D3 (for 2 weeks)
    Unit E3 (for 3 weeks)

6. Thank you for that. Do you spend the first 2 weeks just on unit A3? Then go onto B3 for the next 3 weeks? Do you stick at it religiously? Or do you sometimes mix it up?

x

7. If you are going to follow the maths framework you should start with a review lesson for A3. Then plan which objectives will be taught from A3 for the next 2 weeeks. The idea is to follow the review, teach, practise, apply cycle.
    The guidance is that A is first, E is last and BCD can come in any order. However, it isn't statutory and you need to do what is best for your class and plan appropriately for their needs.

8. Thank you so much.

You know I have been asking and asking other teachers in the schools i have worked in how they plan and have never been given this info.

Thank you.
    x

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

For your Literacy planning you really need to know what the class has already done. You will find the units here:
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/150262
    Each unit tells you how long you should spend on it. Some of the units have exemplification, but you do not have to follow these if you don't want to.
    Choose your unit, see how long is advised for you to take and then look at the objectives. Look at the learning outcomes too and you should then be able to plan content.
    Don't forget there are lots of planning materials and resources on the TES site, so have a look to see if there is anything you can use before you start planning in too much detail.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/ks1-english-primary-teaching-resources/
    It all seems pretty daunting at first, but once you start I'm sure your previous experiences will come to mind and you'll be fine.
    Good luck!

10. Thank you very much. :0)

This is brilliant!

I'm very grateful for your help. xx

11. Ok I was just wondering if anyone can help me again.

I am looking at the objectives for Information texts and there are many objectives under lots of different headings. How do i know which ones to takes for each lesson? How many should i have in each lesson? Should I have 1 for writing, 1 for speaking and listening, 1 for reading? I know it all depends on what you are doing in your lesson. Can you have as many objectives as you want?

Thankyou. x

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

13. Do you know any GP/Surgeons/Doctors? A lot of my family and in laws are a range of doctor types and this isn't actually a stupid-as thought, especially around August time - hint: Don't get seriously ill in August, or serious enough to warrant a visit to hospital. Thats when they let the only just got the name tag young 'uns loose on you in their first placement job.Fun and games.