1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning Child Initiated Activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MissMistoffelees, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Hi all!
    Just looking for some opinions really; I'm starting teaching in a nursery in January and wondered if it is usual to 'plan' child initiated activities. I know some people would argue that they are no longer child initiated if they are planned but I am intending to plan which resources to put out and will also put on my planning what AoL&D will be encouraged by the children accessing them. Does this seem appropriate or is it still too planned; how is it done in your setting?
    Thanks!

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I think that putting out resources and saying thow you hope they will be used is fine - but consider that an adult-initiated activity. If children come along and use it in a totally different way, then they'll have turned it into a child-initiated activity.

3. MissMistoffelees

Ok; thanks! I of course wouldn't dictate to the children how they should be using the resources; hope they will take things in their own direction! It has just always confused me how people say child initiated activities shouldn't be planned at all!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. MissMistoffelees

Not quite sure if that answers my question msz but haven't had a proper look through; some fantastic ideas on there anyway, thank you!