1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning career trajectory as an ESL/MFL teacher with a view to international schools - any advice?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sian991, Nov 12, 2019.

1. sian991

sian991 New commenter

So I've been interested in TEFL as a means of travel, but I've also come to the conclusion that it's not necessarily what I want to do for the rest of my life, however I'd definitely like to go into teaching. I'd like to combine teaching MFL with ESL somehow, but I'm not quite sure how.

For some background, I'm a second year undergraduate studying French with Spanish at a Russell Group university in the UK.

So far, upon graduation, my plan is to get my degree, get my C2 in French (and possibly Spanish, though I've heard they're more relaxed), then my CELTA, teach somewhere for a year, come back to the UK, do my PGCE/teaching license in French and Spanish for secondary school students. Eventually I'd like to get a Master's in Education at one of the universities in the UK that offers IB training certifications and hop over somewhere to an international school.

My problem is that I'm worried that there won't be jobs for an English native teaching French or Spanish, as they'd prefer natives of those languages instead. It also doesn't seem that many international schools do ESL as most are conducted in English.

What, then, would my options be? Should I look into bilingual schools? Should I focus on private schools in Anglophone spheres? Is a CELTA + Masters in Education enough for most better-paying schools to accept you as an ESL teacher? Should I study further qualifications? I don't want to stay in the UK if I can help it.

Thank you in advance for reading this far and for any help.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My advice would be to read the TES Conversation thing that I have sent to you. You will need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen.