1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning, Assessment Preparation

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by slingshotsally, Jan 26, 2011.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Dear All,
    Please could you advise- Should I be doing Planning and Prep whilst I am off sick as well as being asked for pupil progress statistics. I am being emailed and feel that everything marked "cc HT's name" is though it's getting formal and people are complaining.
    Is this normal or should I have a chat with Union.
    Thanks for readling.
    BPG

2. slingshotsally

Dear All,
    Please could you advise- Should I be doing Planning and Prep whilst I am off sick as well as being asked for pupil progress statistics. I am being emailed and feel that everything marked "cc HT's name" is though it's getting formal and people are complaining.
    Is this normal or should I have a chat with Union.
    Thanks for readling.
    BPG

3. Absolutely NOT!!!
    If you are off sick, it means that you are unfit to work. Your school are on very didgy ground if they are expecting you to work when you are sick.
    It would be different if you were off for some other reason and were deemed to be working from home. Last year I was medically advised not to be in work due to risk of infection whilst on steroids (there was chickem pox going around and contracting it would have had serious implications). I was entitled to take this as sick leave, but didn't really feel ill. My HT, with the agreement of the LA, agreed that in this case I could be deemed as working from home and that this absence would not be recorded as sick leave. I had work to do at home and was in constant contact by email. I was NOT off sick in this case.
    I think a reminder to work that you are off sick would not be unacceptable, or a chat to your union.

4. I forgot to add - resist all temptation to check your email. You are not obliged to do so when off sick.

5. slingshotsally

Thanks Hoodie,
    I have been too soft- I planned for 2weeks of my illness. I feel mugged.
    BPG