1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning and the ridiculous expectations.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Shanehurley - dont let us put you off.
    My workload now is still more manageable than when I was training - there may be more work, but I understand what I am doing (generally!), can do things the way I want (generally!) and you see the rewards of all your hard work in the classroom. Also, nothing beats the planning expectations of your training.
    There are ridiculous expectations in terms of paperwork, but the actual JOB of TEACHING remains one I love and wouldn't change for the world. It is worth it - its just a shame that we cant put 110% effort into the job we love.

2. Just to let you know, EBI stands for Every Bloody Initiative.

3. Why don't you give him a break? Would you be happy with what he puts up with? I think Amir should be congratulated for his honesty - we are not all over educated twits who require Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis type arguments. We should be more 'down to Earth', all the way from the top.

4. I tried to say to the head that the G&T 'box' and extra work re G&T wasn't going down well with the staff to try to stick up for everybody ( who had been complaning behind closed doors of workload etc) so when it came to the staff meeting where he asked everyone were they ok with the new G&T expectations- everyone just nodded their head & said nothing- Grrrr!! Speak up! Don't let me be the only one! I am beginning to think what is the point of G&T stuff ( I know with my good teacher hat on that yes, we should stretch the able etc, but I do that anyway, why do I have to add extra boxes & label higher level questioning with G& T??? Anyone else feel like this?
    I think I will set up a separate thread on G&T as I would actually like to know what other schools do.

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Oh dear, there was me thinking that the only G&T worth palnning for was the one with a slice of lemon!
    The other sort is the most likely thing to rile parents in the playground (now that I'm one of those too, it certainly gives a person a different perspective)... Personally I detest this constant labelling of children - on so many levels.
    Perhaps I'd better stick to supply and/or temporary contracts before I start to rile the staffroom with my opinions!!! ;)

6. For SEN or LA children I make my activity simpler.
    For G+T children I make my activity more complex.
    Why on earth do I have to make it explicit about how I am catering for each group when it is obvious from my differentiation? Of course my questioning will differ, that is part of your natural demeanor as a teacher. Im not going to ask a higher ability child the same question as a child who cant count to 10! I do not need to plan this in just to remind myself incase I forget (and certainly wont be spending my whole lesson looking at my piece of paper anyway!)
    And sometimes, no, my activity doesn't change. It stays the same and what changes is the level of support, and quality of the outcome. It doesnt mean ive not stopped to consider my SEN/LA/EAL/G+T children, it just means they can all have a good go at it..

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Exactly. What's the point of writing it twice? Don't we spend enough time telling children not to repeat themsleves?

And anyway, when did the powers that be forget that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the recipe?

8. As long as the thinking is happening whats going on the written planning is irrelevant, monitoring that is a waste of time as any person can copy and paste 'perfect planning' from the internet, is it actually happening in class? Most wise HTs wouldnt spend weeks looking at planning, but just getting a feel for learning in the classrooms and what actual skillset the teachers have in the school.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Well said SIRFRANK!

10. Just common sense to me, but I assume the moment you climb the greasy pole and become a HT or DHT you must somehow lose and become detached them reality. The reality is I can buy 100 Maths and English Framework Lessons books and copy my planning out of it word for word...or go onto TES Resource Bank and just change the school name at the top so what is the point? Can I then deliver that lesson to my class? thats what Id be interested in if I were in leadership

11. From what I can see, it all seems to be about providing "evidence". Our planning is scrutinised every three weeks and we get written feedback, with areas to develop. The books are also trawled through every three weeks (only Literacy and Numeracy, of couse!) and we also get written feedback on those.
    If we don't have evidence in books of speaking and listening, mental and oral starters, plenaries and lots and lots of writing, it clearly isn't happening in the classroom. I think I must have missed the point of mental and oral starters completely - I thought the whole point was that they were MENTAL and ORAL?
    I thought I was a professional, trusted to be able to deliver high-quality lessons which best suit the needs of the individuals in my class, and that my short term planning (and any notations I may wish to make on my planning, in whatever colour pen I might have to hand at the time) were for me, not really for anyone else.
    Oops, how silly of me!

12. Elizabth, I have to agree with you. I thought that's what I was planning for too! I did find it interesting that when my HT was teaching regularly (one day a week all school year) she didn't seem to sumbit any planning into the shared planning file.... [​IMG] Wonder why?!?!?

13. The complete p.iss take off it all is that I can never see these inspectors and HTs actually being able to teach in the first place. We have a SIP who has had the job for 14 years, was presumably a HT before that and must be about 125 years old. Needless to say shes been out of the classroom well over 20 years and then makes judgements about all lessons ranging from YR to Y6 Pscales to L5-I dont think its possible personally and get very outspoken about it

14. Having spent yesterday on a training day about planning I couldnt agree more about something having to give. Keeping it clear and simple is the best way for me not sheets and sheets for paper that once in the classroom dont get a second look.

15. <u>impulce!</u> Thank you so much for taking the time to put into words exactly how i feel! we are also told to get a good life work balance and not spend more than two or three hours on planning at the weekend! it takes that long just to get all the extras in the plans before you have time to come up with engaging activities which you then may have to change because of umpteen unforeseen ocurrances in the 40 minutes to an hour to deliver the lesson it took 2 hours to plan
    must dash have planning to do

16. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Is this because it is expected you will plan at the weekends, or because lots of teachers at your school do anyway? I can't imagine our headteacher wanting us to do any work at the weekend as we do enough at school during the week. I occasionally mark books at home, but that's about it.

17. Im a Design and Technology GTP student at a challenging school, which is an acadamy. I only plan for 10 lessons a week, plus the other skills tests and all the tasks and the rest ot the ten ton of paper work...I've had enough of teaching already. With the added challenges working at an Acadamy were HLTA Technicians are time tabled to teach food, I wonder if I'm going to over qualified if food becomes compulsary in Sept 2011. Sorry abot the spelling, grammar ect...Im shattered and my brain is frazzled...oh and Im a mother of 6 year old twins too.

18. Interesting isn't it, that the one-to-one programme allows for (and by implication, requires) 2 hours of planning time for each 10 hour one to one programme?! Considering that this is for one child and therefore does not require differentiation, planning for effective use of support staff, etc... I'd say one-to-one may not be the best example of reducing planning.

19. As a one-to one tutor myself I've never been given the luxury of this 2 hour planning session. Would love to know if it is just a myth.