1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

planning activity for job interview HELP !!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by courtney02, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I have a job interview for an early years practioner on Friday, i have never done a planning sheet as my manager likes to do it, so have never been trained. i have to prepare and share a planned activity/resource that i have experienced or feel is suitable for the 0/3 age group that has enabled children to develop their communication skills in the outdoor environment.

I have recently done an activity for the 2/3 year group i currently work with. I took a plastic sand pic and turned it into a bug farm, by putting compost in, got the children to paint some big stones and rocks, we gathered some bark to put in. i then took the children on a bug hunt and uses gloves and shovels we put snails,woodlice, worms in the bug farm. i gave the children magnifying glasses to look at how the mini beast lived, we placed in follage for them to eat and spoke about what we could see and what they needed to live, i then observed the children talking to each other about what they were seeing and delighting in it.

im not sure if this covers what they want.
    Adviice please as am really nervous and not sure what to expect from the interview at all.

2. I have a job interview for an early years practioner on Friday, i have never done a planning sheet as my manager likes to do it, so have never been trained. i have to prepare and share a planned activity/resource that i have experienced or feel is suitable for the 0/3 age group that has enabled children to develop their communication skills in the outdoor environment.

I have recently done an activity for the 2/3 year group i currently work with. I took a plastic sand pic and turned it into a bug farm, by putting compost in, got the children to paint some big stones and rocks, we gathered some bark to put in. i then took the children on a bug hunt and uses gloves and shovels we put snails,woodlice, worms in the bug farm. i gave the children magnifying glasses to look at how the mini beast lived, we placed in follage for them to eat and spoke about what we could see and what they needed to live, i then observed the children talking to each other about what they were seeing and delighting in it.

im not sure if this covers what they want.
    Adviice please as am really nervous and not sure what to expect from the interview at all.

3. Hi, no experience of this myself but I do like your idea and I think that at interview it helps to be able to talk about something that you are confident with. Therefore I would use this idea since your enthusiasm will show, you could also talk about how you would change it for the different age group and what else you might improve given your previous experience using it :0

4. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

First of all; what a fantastic idea for an activity; might be using that this year! If they want to see the planning for it you could still do it; just pretend you did it before the activity. There are lots of planning formats in the resources section on here and it totally depends on the person of what works best for them and the activity they're doing to which format would be best but I can put my 'group time' planning format on as well if that would help?

5. Thanks for all advice given, yes that would be great as im not sure how to write it out at all., am so nervous for the interview, not sure what they are going to ask or want to know.

6. MissMistoffelees

OK; have uploaded and it can take up to an hour to show up when you click on my username.It's two tables side by side on a landscape A4 sheet as I found A5 size plans are more manageable and have lots of gaps if I use it A4 size but you should be able to make it bigger if need be. I've also given a brief description (in italics) of what to include in each box.
    I was asked about safeguarding; what would I do if a child disclosed that they were being abused to me? I answered that it would be very difficult as you would want the child to continue to feel the sense of trust whilst still letting them know that it is not normal then I think I said I would inform a superior and seek advice on how to deal with it. Also got asked how I would set up my classroom; something in my professional development I was particularly proud of, how I would deal with a child with challenging behaviour and one or two others that I can't remember!
    That was for a teaching interview so imagine they'll vary slightly depending on what position you're going for. Best advice I had was to think of a few things that you want to get across; e.g. I wanted to put across that I was interested in making sure my practise was informed from what I knew about the children; that I thought collaborations with parents were important and that I strongly believe in a play based approach to learning. When I was asked a question I wasn't sure about I just thought about how I could relate it to one of those things and then found it much easier. It's also a good idea to make sure what you're trying to put across matches the ethos of the setting; which hopefully it will anyway if it's appealed to you enough for you to apply there!
    Good luck and let us know how you get on!

7. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

This sounds like a lovely activity for 3-5 year olds.. I take it you are not nursery nurse trained then? 0-3 tend to put things in there mouths.. so bugs and stones would be unsuitable.

8. MissMistoffelees

By the sounds of it she's already done it with success Cinderella.

9. cinderella1

No she says she did it with older children, unless im misreading and the planned activity for the interview is for 0-3 therefore this includes young babies and toddlers under 2 as well as above. Who will be teething and putting objects into there mouths. Ive had problems with a child this year in my nursery class who is delayed in development, everything has gone in there mouth, they nearly choked on a stone and dont mention the tadpoles!! .. we have had to modify a lot of activities and provide watch the child like a hawk.. very difficult when only two of you in the classroom.

10. MissMistoffelees

Ah I see what you mean, I'd read it as an activity suitable for children within that range but not necessarily across the whole range, because I'd presumed it would be near impossible to do an appropriate activity that covers the whole age range as the needs and interests of a 6 month old would be completely different to those of a three year old.

11. hi
    yes im a level 3 qualified early years praqctioner and a Licensed Thrive Practioner, i am currently a room supervisor and have done this activity already for my 2/3 year age group. I took it the same as it was within the age group as you cannot provide an activity for a young baby that is suitable for a 2/3 yr old, as the activity would need to be adapted to the childs level of development, but if i had to adapt the activity i would use the soft sensory toys for the baby's and use lots of tummy time as thats importtant to their development whilst playing, as communication doesn't always need to be verbal and treasure baskets with outdoor objects for the 1/2 yr olds, of course all these thinngs will been clean and a risk assessment done for the safety of the child.

12. cinderella1

Well you certainly sound like you know just what your doing ...Good luck for tomorrow :) . p.s what is a thrive practioner? x

13. I went on a course for a year and its all about, understanding the brain development in a child and the stages it goes through in order for all connections to form and build the needed pathways to development, being able to identify any disruptions in these and put activities and strategies in place for the child.Thrive consists of 6 stands of development and 3 brain stages. i can recognize disruptions in these strands and have the knowledge to know where to start from the help the children. Thrive is about recognizing the feelings and emotions for a child and acknowledging them and naming them for a child.
    its an amazing course to go on, expensive but very insightful.

14. cinderella1

it sounds really interesting i shall google it :) x

15. if googling it , you need to put in thriveftc