1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning a topic on Film Studios

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sj88, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I've been planning a "Film Studios" topic for my Year 4 class that I'd like to teach after February half-term. It's something my class have really shown an interest in so I thought I'd roll with it and plan a topic based around it.

So far I have made loads of links to Literacy (Play scripts, persuasive writing), Numeracy (budgets), ICT, Science, DT. But I am finding it hard to incorporate an area of Geography or History into it. I would really appreciate it if any of you brilliant people had any ideas? I thought maybe the birth Hollywood - but its quite alien for them. Can't see them relating to what it would all mean.

Anyway, please help a young teacher in need.

Thanks, Seb

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Most of the early film related inventions- the camera obscura, the thaumatrope, the Magic Lantern, praxinoscope etc were developed during Victorian times, so you could tie in a unit on Victorian Inventors

For Geography you could compare and contrast Hollywood and Bollywood, especially if you have any children from Indian families in your class.

Best an old teacher can come up with!