1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning a sleepover with Y2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Apr 22, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Hi all. I had a nocturnal evening planned this week where the children were coming back into school for the evening to go on an owl hunt, but unfortunately had to postpone it due to the weather. Id really like to turn it into a sleepover for the end of the year. id run the nocturnal evening as planned, and carry it on into the night as a sleepover. anyone who didnt want their child to stay could collect at 9pm as planned.

Just wondered what i need to consider in terms of planning a sleepover. for those of you who have done it what do you do in terms of sleeping arrangements, parent information, breakfast etc. Just after general advice really. HT is really up for it so would love to give it a shot!!

2. rainbowdrop86

Hi all. I had a nocturnal evening planned this week where the children were coming back into school for the evening to go on an owl hunt, but unfortunately had to postpone it due to the weather. Id really like to turn it into a sleepover for the end of the year. id run the nocturnal evening as planned, and carry it on into the night as a sleepover. anyone who didnt want their child to stay could collect at 9pm as planned.

Just wondered what i need to consider in terms of planning a sleepover. for those of you who have done it what do you do in terms of sleeping arrangements, parent information, breakfast etc. Just after general advice really. HT is really up for it so would love to give it a shot!!

3. Just thinking about when my Secondary school got snowed in one year, and what they did for the children who ended up stranded (and the teachers who either were also stranded, or volunteered to stay with them).
    Up the road was an outward bound type place, so they borrowed a huge pile of sleeping bags. Everyone laid on gym mats or crash mats (girls together, boys togheter obviously, though does that really matter in for +Y2??). Once the lights were out the moonlight came through the gym windows and everyone started telling ghost stories and had a pretty good night really (not very much sleep had by all!). School was shut the next day but a snow plough had been up the road so that a few minibuses could get in and take the kids away. If I remember rightly, greggs sent down a few trays of cheesy bean pasties for breakfast too.

Sorry, off track!
    - sleeping bags (and teddys?) in the hall, or a few classrooms if that would be warmer - make it a teddy sleep over to give a cover for children wanting their favourite toy with them?
    - toast and jam in the morning with juice
    THats my contribution done...!!

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Are you mad?

5. I have decided to do this with my Year 2s too this summer. I can think of lots of lovely things to do with them in the evening and think it is a great way to introduce them to the idea of an overnight trip, but in a familar place. Just asking those who have done it how many members of staff they had to supervise 30 children overnight. We are thinking of doing both classes at the same time, so at the moment have 4 adults to 60 children for the overnight part (2 in each class), with others helping in the evening/morning. Does this sound enough?
    Just need to talk to the head about it now. Hopefully he will like the idea. I like the idea of doing it on a Friday night with an early Saturday morning pick up after an early breakfast, so we don't need to try and teach them when they are tired and grumpy.

6. rainbowdrop86

Hbingham did u have a male member of staff?

7. we've done it too . . .though with year 5 and 6. Lots of games outside, hide and seek in the dark . . .then settle down on PE mats and sleeping bags to a DVD. We also charged a voluntary donation of £10 for 'overnight babysitting' and bought some new reading books!!!

Camping? we looked into it but the toilets were our sticking point.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooooooo...

Awww I so want to do this now with my year 2s. Might broach the subject soonish.

9. rainbowdrop86

I'm gonna ask this week. Catch ht on a good day!

10. Just asked my head. Apart from thinking we were bonkers to want to spend that much time with our pupils (particularly on a Friday evening), he thought it would be fine!