1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Planning a Overseas?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by gerbenlaning, Mar 4, 2017.

  1. gerbenlaning

    gerbenlaning New commenter

    Hi there,

    My wife and I will be moving on to a new international teaching job next school year. However, she is the main provider. I do have a TEFL/Swimming teacher qualification, but no teaching degree. Probably, I'll do some tutoring/teaching swimming on the side again but won't be able to get a contract at any international school. We are at this point in our life that we would like to start a family and we feel like it's quite important to find a school with a good health insurance plan, which is covering costs related to pregnancy and childbirth. Also, lots of countries only give 6 weeks or two months paid maternity leave... What's the best place to look for international teaching jobs in terms of health insurance/maternity leave? And which places are no-gos?

    Many thanks!!


  2. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Never give up on finding a job. There are decent possibilities for a qualified spouse with an under qualified yet useful spouse. Schools have jobs which don't require qualifications, and it can work well for those to go to willing and flexible spouses.
    Parental benefits are a little tougher. The best benefits are in countries like the Nordics and developed Europe, where you would essentially be trading recruited benefits (housing, flights, etc) for social benefits like parental leave. Those countries are, in my opinion, less likely to get creative about an under qualified trailing spouse, though it's more of a hunch on my part.
  3. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    3 of my schools gave 3 months full pay materity then it reduced to half, then quarter at set stages after that. You could have upto 6 months off if you could afford it. There are plenty of good schools out there that will offer similar, its just going to take a lot of digging around to find out this information.

    I have only worked at full IB programme schools, if that helps. And none of them have been in western europe.
  4. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Sweden gives 480 days paid parental leave divided between the parents.
  5. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    Consider having your wife give birth in the UK. If she's from the UK it will possibly be free. My wife gave birth to our second daughter in the UK because we didn't want her born in North Africa. It causes complications later in life if your kids have kids who are also born overseas. Plus the healthcare was c**p where we were.
  6. 576

    576 Established commenter

    My school has a full-time swimming coach.

Share This Page