1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plane food - ugh

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 13, 2012.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I love plane food, I've had some superb meals on BA, MEA and Air France, but dire ones on Charter flights. Memorable is trying to cut Serrano ham with a plastic knife in turbulence over the Pyrenees, it stayed in the air when the plane dropped a bit!! Also the whole stuffed chilli on Air Tunis.
    I've also spent a day at a flight catering service at Gatwick and understand the problems of devising the menus, but some do it superbly.
    Did you know there are a couple of airports where the airlines don't trust local suppliers so the food is flown out chilled in the hold for the return journey.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Just drink lots of water for 24 hours, if it continues see the doc and document everything!!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Fly Business or First Class. Much better food [​IMG]

4. ljr

ljr New commenter

I agree it depends on the airline, Qatar and Virgin flights to various Middle East & Asian destinations have all served excellent food. I was once following a gluten free diet for a few months and so requested special meals for the flights and the food I was served was much better than my companions.

5. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Breakfast of noodles with char siu pork on Singapore Airlines was great (cannot remember the dinner but it must have been OK).
    Cold Meats, pickles and cheese on an Egyptair Express flight from Cairo to Budapest was great (generally I avoid the Egyptair food)
    The Arabic breakfast on Emirates is another I always look forward to (even with the amount of garlic in the hummus)
    Qatar airways food was pretty good (although I did end up with the same dinner and lunch on the outward and return flights).
    British Airways' Chicken Tikka Masala is pretty good too.
    Worst ever was SAA from Perth to Joburg - old plane, awful movies and a lunch that consisted of potato salad with pink bits of mystery gristle in it. Luckily I had a good stash of chocolate coated macadamias!

6. In mu opinion, best: Emirates and Cathay Pacific, both in economy. Worst: Bristish Airways in Business Class, but maybe that's because my expectations were higher?