1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

plan & assess from DM & ELG

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Crownie13, Jun 21, 2012.

1. I have been reading about your ideas about new EYFS on here. Alot of people are saying plan from DM, assess using ELG (until anything else comes out in Autumn or Spring).
    However, I was under the impression that we should plan AND assess using both Development Matters AND Early Learning Goals (as some children will have completed DM and need to be working towards ELG)?

2. I have been reading about your ideas about new EYFS on here. Alot of people are saying plan from DM, assess using ELG (until anything else comes out in Autumn or Spring).
    However, I was under the impression that we should plan AND assess using both Development Matters AND Early Learning Goals (as some children will have completed DM and need to be working towards ELG)?

3. I agree. ELG is part of DM anyway, at the end of the 40-60 month section.

4. So will you be base lining your children using the dev matters best fit? So in rec many chl will prob be still within 30-50 maybe. But I find this hard to show any progress! At least with current one we could see if they came in at a 4 in sept and by spring were a 6 and left on a 7 you could see the progress made but now it's we're working within 30/50 in autumn then within 40-50 in spring and some maybe still within 40-60 when they leave, they've prob made loads of progress but haven't yet gained everything to be on elg how can you portray progress?? Because that's what heads want and also ofsted!

5. Yes in Herfordshire we use the emerging expected and exceeding on the DM statements. As far as I have been told if a child has 50% of the statements in the 30-50 months DM highlighted then they are "expected" and if they have a few on the 40-60 they are "emerging". So they need 75% plus to be exceeding.
    This will show progress over the term if the DM's are reviewed every half term showing if a child is moving from "emerging" to "expected" or "exceeding" and "emerging" into another stage of DM
    Hope this makes sense
    Littlestones [​IMG]

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We were told they had to have all to be exceeding

7. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

I'm in nursery and my LA also have a system using the DMs we only have 'within' and 'secure' and it doesn't divide the areas into stands so they could be great in counting but struggle with shape space and measure and I can't show that, also because of the terms used some of my children appear to have made no progress across the whole year, so frustrating!

8. I found a grid in resources that someone had kindly made before Easter for highlighting DM statements for assessment but now can't find it. Does anyone know of a similar one please? Thank you

9. Might have been

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/New-development-matters-statements-for-eyfs-6205331/

10. Surely you could just put the relevant age group onto a piece of A4 - double sided you would easily get all 7 strands, Then highlight at dif points of the year as they get the different parts which make up each statement. That shows progression throughout the year, as you can see when they get the different parts which make up the whole statement. Then at the end of the year, you look at how much from each ELG they have highlighted and decide if they are emerging, expected or exceeding? I thought it was all about making our lives easier, not having 7 pages of documents to highlight. Or am I being too simple?

11. Feel free to do that. I just shared the resource that I was intending to use across my nursery / reception. Do all of your children stay within the the 40-60 month bracket for the whole year then?

12. Thank you. That is a similar thing. It is bulky with 7 pages but children might not be in the same age stage for each thing - they could well be 30-50 for personal and social, but 22-36 for Literacy for example, so there needs to be a way to have more than one stage but less than 7 pages...I'll have a think.

13. We had training last week and our authority are not advising anything, which is no good for the ofsted and SMT query! We were shown the subsidary guidance for Ofsted and the percentages of where children should be, 80% of children should be working within 40-60 on entry, and only 20% should be below. But I agree with an earlier poster, if my 80% enter working on 40-60 (where they should be) and then they leave at the end of 40-60 (where they should be) then they have only made satisfactory progress. And so how do I show that they have made a good amount of progress when actually they havent moved bands! Can i only get children to good if they have suppased 40-60 and are now working at a level 1 level?
    Ive heard some authorities are dividing the age bands into maybe three and then saying on entry a child is working 40-60a and on exit 40-60c, so they can show progression but how do you decide whcih are a and which are c and also surely this is making a tick list of the DM statements! I am sooo confused, does anyone have a clear idea of what they are going to do that they wouldnt mind sharing? please xxxxxx[​IMG]

14. It's also useful if you are carrying it on over more than a year. We start ours when they come in just turned 3 and carry the same sheet right through to the end of reception. I did get a version that just showed 1 age band from the Hertfordshire training which was quite compact. Not sure if its on their website yet.

15. Sorry Lou, I've just realised my comment sounded like a criticism of your hard work on that document - it wasn't meant to be at all! We don't have a nursery attached so our FS leader has suggested we use 40-60 and ELG, then for those who need it the next one below. I can see your resource being very useful for nursery going into Reception though!