1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

plan and organize the session/activity with the focus being on Promoting Talk

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by maria_f, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Hiya guys.

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I have got an pre interview observation( firs time in my life) and I should plan and organize the session/activity with the focus being on Promoting Talk with group of Year 5 children. Thats all what i have been told.

Just wondering what it might actually be? Just any activity on any topic which will promote children to talk?

Really confused! really appreciate any ideas to help me!

2. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

I'm not sure if this what you means, i googled it..

Public Speaking is a critical part of our children's education. So why not make it fun, and a little interesting, too!

This game, called "Speaking Non-Sense," is a great way to get kids' bad speaking habits out of the way, and good ones in!

Here is what you do:

1) Choose a student.

2) Give them a topic: It can be anything from Spam to the Holocaust. Things that you are learning about work great as topics.

3) They must talk for 2 minutes straight about their topic. They cannot say "Um", etc. or use the word "and" more than twice. They must also keep eye contact with the audience at all times and use all public speaking skills.

4) The winner or winners are those who can complete this task using all the rules.

Fizz W has suggested this variation:

This is a really good idea for more confident children, but how about the same game along the lines of the BBC radio programme 'Just a Minute'? The winner is still the one who talks for longest 'without hesitation, deviation' or saying 'umm' but if they are with several class mates at the front, then the less confident are not so on-the-spot. The rest of the class has to listen carefully for any mistakes. Perhaps there could be a scoring system for correct challenges?

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Maria. I think this is all about developing speaking and listening skills - Talk for Writing.

Possible ideas:

- Take in an object that they wouldn't recognise (could be an old cassette tape). What do they think it is? What could it have been used for?

- Take in a picture - National Gallery Website has great ideas. Who are the people in the picture? What are they doing? What might have happened just before the scene? What might happen next?

- Individually wrap up some stones/pebbles (use tissue) - as pretty as you can. If you have them, use the semi-precious stone type. Give one to each child. Ask them to describe how the package feels and what they think is in it. When every child has had a chance to speak, let them open them. Tell the children to imagine these are magic pebbles which will take them anywhere they want to go. Ask them to close their eyes and image the place they would like to be. Describe your own special place; draw their attention to the great descriptive words you will be using! Allow everyone to have a turn to describe theirs. If time, they could then write a couple of descriptive sentences about where their magic pebble has taken them.

Hope this helps and good luck with the interview and observation.

4. Thank you so much, sunshineneeded! There are really great idea! do you think if I use picture/stone ideas I need to link it to the literaccy lesson? And where dou think i can find out about what sort of description words and new vocabulary Y5 children should know/learn?

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Maria - it would be very difficult to link a standalone interview task to the class literacy lesson, as you have no idea what their focus is! I can't imagine you would every be asked to - they are simply looking to see how you interact with the pupils; if you can engage them in your activity and move their learning on. I think you will be fine to use whatever you are comfortable and confident with. As for descriptive vocabulary - if you chose the pebble activity, that would depend on the places the children were describing, but you would be looking for similes, metaphors, powerful verbs and phrases like 'soft waves gently lapping on the sand'.

Hope that helps and good luck.

6. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I would guide circle time on a topical discussion as they are Yr 5.