1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plagiarism...need a bit of advice please.

Discussion in 'English' started by laticsbird, Nov 13, 2011.

1. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Hello everyone - I gave my Year 11s homework over the half-term which was to analyse 3 poems from the cluster we are studying in class. As I've been marking them, two students have clearly copied and pasted whole essays taken from the web. I'm gutted about this as they are really nice kids and I don't want to shame them or embarrass them too much.
    How should I approach this? A quiet word to the two of them along the lines of 'I'm really disappointed and I hope it won't happen again'. Or, do I take a more serious stance and threaten that I am well within my rights to notify Head of Department and SLT, and that it would be kept on their records etc... ?
    I would really appreciate some advice if possible and also if this has happened to any of you, the stance you have taken.
    Many thanks to all of you.

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I had a friend whose strategy was 'They've posted your essay on the internet'.
    If you've tracked the plagiarism down, I'd simply show it to them. If you haven't, you don't have a leg to stand on, anyway.

3. Copy the web essay and staple it to their essay with a copy of the page mentioning plagiarism from your syllabus and hand it back to them with a yellow card (in an envelope if you prefer) without a comment and leave them to work it all out. They might get the message.

4. Unfortunately, I get this all the time. Each time this happens, I tell the students to repeat the homework and give them a warning, noting this for my own records. If it happens again, I refer to my HOD and they are issued with a school detention. I would discuss it with your HOD and find out the school policy on this.
    Villanelle

5. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Thank you so much, both of you, for the swift replies.
    I do have evidence gruoch, all it took really was simply typing into 'Google' the opening line of their essays and they popped up straight away. I've printed them out myself and I have attached them to their essays - all ready to present to them tomorrow:(
    Azael - what's the yellow card for? And, I think that's a good idea too - attaching the page from the syllabus - I didn't think of that. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

6. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Villanelle - thank you too. I will ask them to do the essays again :)

7. Yellow card. Not a football fan, eh? It's a subtle warning. Refs give them out to naughty players if they commit nasty fouls. Next one is red and it is for a sending off...or in your case a massive telling off.

8. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Amazing, isn't it? I once had a lad copy an enitire entry from Wiki for a piece of 'original' writing. I did get stuck on one piece of plagiarism for a bit when a girl had copied from the introduction to a novel.
    I assume the yellow card precedes a red card and reporting to a higher authority.
    I don't have a problem with plagiarism. Bottom sets have far more interesting things to do of an evening than surf the net for English.

9. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Azael...haha, yes, I'm a big fan! Forgot for a moment the yellow/red card thingy. My head is frazzled at the moment. Still marking, with occasional lapses onto here, 'X-Factor' and 'FB' and have a massive headache to boot [​IMG]

10. Careful how you boot your headache! Don't want anyone giving you a card! ;-)

11. D'Oh! Just noticed your tag. "Latics" in the name should have given me a clue! Should have guessed. Oops. Apologies for patronising explanation of red/yellow card system in a game you obviously know all about.

12. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I think you're right in being cautious in how you approach this, but I would certainly make the students feel awkward to the point where they never consider plagiarizing again. Even if only because those cut and paste essays are rubbish.