1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Places you would never want to go on Hoilday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Reecedouglas1, May 16, 2019.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Slough. Bracknell. Cumbernauld.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Reece City, Alabama
    Douglas, IOM

towncryer and magic surf bus like this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I was at my ex sis in law's funeral earlier this year and I stayed in a prom front hotel in Douglas with my 2 daughters. I know I am biased having IoM ancestry but I found it fine. Visiting with my ex and my mother in the late 1990s I loved it there - the pace of life more reminiscent of the 1950s (Gawd I will be voting for Brexit next! )
    I would go back for a holiday there any time (would reconnect with the Rest Home for Old Horses where I spent my week's holiday more or less back in the 1960s!)

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I was there when selling my parents' old shop property which is smack on Central Shore..... the area having been badly affected by the DWP placing an office close by to which the deposited souls haunt trying to get their benefits - so yes... I know certain areas close to the Golden Mile and intros side streets which housed all those 100s and 100s of cheap B & Bs (now even cheaper - I have seen B& B cards offering £12 a night on display!) Have only driven through N Shore/town edge so haven't been round on foot. I just think if you are selective and take care where you go there are lovely areas of Blackpool to visit. Like so many Victorian seaside resorts it is suffering....thanks 'austerity' !

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Fair enough. Let's swap it for Douglas, Arizona.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  7. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

I’ve only been to Blackpool once, a long time ago (for the theme park, great weekend) so I can’t really comment on it but we must generally be very careful to not demonise socially disadvantaged places, they might look run down, uninviting sometimes and so on but you’ll find that people/residents are often friendly in those places, there is a strong sense of community, people may be a bit nosey but they tend to look after one another, it's my experience of such places anyway, both in France and in England. The people (working class and lower middle class) who were my neighbours in the poorer parts of Birmingham and Bristol when I first moved in the UK were generally friendlier than many of my current neighbours (fairly affluent area), they certainly were chattier, more helpful, less guarded/stuck up etc.

I think Loach absolutely wanted (the Geordie) Dave Johns for the main male role (Daniel Blake) after the casting auditions, so it was more realistic for the film to be based in Newcastle I suppose, and Johns must have helped him a lot to choose the best filming locations. And Loach likes Newcastle a lot I believe, his new film (haven't seen it), Sorry We Missed You (on zero hour contracts, on the gig economy, on the casualisation of the workplace - he should have chosen teachers instead of delivery drivers!) is also based on Tyneside.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The Land of the Forum Trolls.

towncryer and nizebaby like this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yep and you can add to that Africa apart from perhaps Egypt.

10. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

What’s a holiday?

HelenREMfan likes this.
  11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

India, Africa, Asia, South America and the Poles. Don’t like being too hot, strange insects, dodgy plumbing and non democratic societies. Favourite country abroad is Italy.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Visit North Korea before North Korea visits you.

13. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

emerald52 … your Post 31 reminded me of a comment from someone in a similar discussion who said that she would not like going "to any country where there are huge spiders."

emerald52 likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I had to call out a sparky yesterday to sort out a problem caused by Interserve, who somehow managed to turn a simple replacement of a fire alarm system into a four month fiasco.

It was a job that was origionally predicted to take no more than three weeks and be finished in February. Here we are in mid-May and the end isn't in sight. Yesterday, they discovered that work that was supposed to have been completed last month, hadn't been and needed more wiring to be added, which involved drilling between floors.

They are way behind schedule and in their haste to catch up, they managed to drill through some cables that cut the estate electicty off. I had to call in a sparky who knew what he was doing, rather than trust Interserve to fix it.

The sparky turned up within ten minutes, worked out what was to needed to resolve the problem and I heard him call the office. "Yes I know there are spiders in the store room..." I heard him tell the woman who answered his call, "I just need to know if we've got what I need in stock, or if it's time to see whether the apprentice secretary is worthy of promotion."

That's how it works in the real world.

emerald52 likes this.
  15. Mrs Goatstrangler

Mrs Goatstrangler New commenter

Dubai. Shopping malls in the desert. Shopping malls - just no. Desert - prefer greenery.

cissy3 and smoothnewt like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been there - it's a place you go to once.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I can't think of anywhere in the world that I wouldn't want to visit - my feeling is that if I've never been, how can I say I don't like it? There are a few places in the UK that I wouldn't want to rush back to … Corby … Glasgow … Leysdown ... Maybe I didn't see the best of them?

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Have you been to Wisbech or Stevenage ?

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Once would be one time too many for me.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wouldn't say it was a holiday highlight for us.

To be honest we were a bit bored.