1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Places you would never want to go on Hoilday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Reecedouglas1, May 16, 2019.

1. Reecedouglas1

Reecedouglas1 New commenter

For any reason

I will start

Blackpool
    Magualf

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Also on Mumsnet.

ilovesooty likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Wisbech. I've heard nothing to recommend it.

lanokia, Laphroig and primarycat like this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What is a "hoilday" (sic)?

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Laaahndan
    [​IMG]

6. Ivartheboneless

Cushty!

Scintillant likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

or maybe Magaluf ?

Jamvic likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Glasgow

9. Ivartheboneless

Wherever the OP resides. (Assuming he can spell it!)

Jamvic, nomad, magic surf bus and 3 others like this.
  10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

There is plenty about my former home town, Blackpool, to like. For a start there are miles of sandy beaches, washed twice a day by the sea. Forget wincing in pain or struggling along walking on pebbles etc .... comfortable walking and a doggy walking paradise. Ok - so it gets a bit tacky along 'The Golden Mile' but that is one mile out of 10+. There are lovely parks, the largest of which, Stanley Park, is fab. There are cinemas, an ice rink, bowling alleys, Piers and amusement arcades in profusion, swimming pool. I am saddened that the Pleasure Beach is no longer a free area to wander around and to marvel at the rides and it is now closed to me as I wouldn't be going on any rides as such so a waste of money buying me an entry band. However the band does mean value for people wishing to ride attractions and the cost therefore lessens. North Shore has some quality hotels and lovely cliff walks and again the beaches. South Shore also leading to the sand hills at Squires Gate where I spent my Whit hols revising (not) for O and A levels..... in truth more sun bathing was done than the latter.
    Shops... there are in profusion from lots of cheap shops selling the cheapest clothing ever to pure tat to the nicer stores in the town centre. Although I haven't been in it for years there is the Tower and its indoor attractions.

For me in the 60s it was a great place to grow up, having around 8 cinemas in the days long before multi plexus and towns only having one cinema. There were discos and bars... a great Yates (which I think is still there)

A tram ride from Squires Gate to the shopping areas of Fleetwood is a really nice experience and above all Blackpool has the sea (generally much cleaner etc than it was when I and the other Blackpool Lifeguards used to do New Year's Day, round the pier and pier to pier swims!

Forgetting for a moment that along with many other Victorian favoured resorts, Blackpool has become a dumping ground for the unfortunate targeted by this sack of sh*te government where they have left people to rot with only extremely poorly paid seasonal jobs and dirt cheap B & Bs. I was surprised that in the film "I, Daniel Blake" when the featured female character who had been evicted from her London accommodation because the Landlord wished to chase a far higher rent than she was paying, that they didn't base her in Blackpool instead of Newcastle-upon-Tyne as has been the case for many. So.... Blackpool has its problems but I would still move to live there in a trice.... if only MR REMfan had a year round job there !

Am struggling to find somewhere to criticise..... have had my moments with London where I find people often unfriendly and its crowded streets etc off putting but then as I have grown more used to it, I have become more forgiving.

fraisier and ilovesooty like this.
  11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Yes and I think it's the same poster. I reckon he has too much time on his hands.

towncryer and InkyP like this.
  12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Obviously not a teacher.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Benidorm, we drove through it a few years ago. Signs for cups of tea, fish and chips and Sunday roasts ensured that we knew we were right in driving straight through the town.

nizebaby likes this.
  14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Benidorm out of season is OK. We always go for a day trip when staying near Alicante where we have friends.
    it's lovely in the hills above Benidorm too.

sunshineneeded and Jamvic like this.
  15. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Posts 3 and 9: my thoughts, too.

nomad likes this.
  16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Helen, have you been to Blackpool recently?
    I have family near Cleveleys and had the misfortune to drive through Blackpool town centre, a few months ago. :(

I think you have your rose tinted specs on. ;)

towncryer likes this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

China
    India (and surrounding countries)
    In fact Asia in general.

emerald52 likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Jupiter.

RepelloInimicum likes this.
  19. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Anywhere, my carbon foot print the future of the world is too important.

* Tongue in cheek for all those who think climate protests make a huge difference to lifestyle choices that apparently choke the planet.

lexus300 likes this.
  20. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Seriously? All of Asia?

Japan; Indonesia; Thailand; Mongolia; South Korea; Cambodia.

Not a single one?