1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Places to Walk in the Peak District

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 05dan10, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    Not been on TES in ages!
    Just looking for places to walk in the peak district and the derbyshire area.
    Me and my OH live in Chesterfield, and are always looking for places to walk in derbyshire and the peak district.
    Does anyone who lives near to me know of any good walks around that area?
    Thanks in anticipation

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

this one is yesterdays walk - I am local and walk here most weekends - it was panoramic and varied, not bad.

start at yorkshire bridge
    up a steep path to win hill
    turn alongside ladybower and follow the ridge to the end of the reservoir
    descend and follow the track alongside the water back to YB

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

How far is that walk, lurk?

4. davidmu

davidmu New commenter

The Manifold valley is superb, visit Ilam, Butterton and Grindon in the vacinity. You can link this easily with the Dove valley via Beresford dale and Hartington. A good map will show all the footpaths.

5. placestovisit.co.uk, am just on it now looking for ideas for a day out tomorrow

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

7. Follow this link:
    http://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/see-and-do/active-peak.aspx

and then click on the "downloadable routes" links in the leftmost panel - from there you can download routes and maps in .pdf form for a variety of walks.
    Mrs. D and I rode the Monsal Trail in June just three weeks after it was full open and it was very enjoyable as bike ride - reminded me a bit of the Derwent Walk and C2C where I live.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We've cycled the Monsal trail twice - much prefer Bakewell to Buxton version - you get the steady climb out of the way first. Wouldn't want to walk it though - relatively boring compared with walking routes nearby and the tunnels are a bit spooky for walking through.

9. Yes, I agree with that.

10. I grew up in the Peak District and moving back there in 3 weeks. Robin Hood stride is a great one. You can park in Elton and do a full circuit which is about 4/5 miles or you can literally park just below it and walk up. You can also check out the druids cave where there is a carving of Christ on the cross which is very interesting.

I also love Bradford Dale at the bottom of Youlgrave, not too long but very pretty and you can swim in the river when it's hot. Dovedale is fabulous too x