1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Places to stay in Cornwall

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2799, Apr 10, 2011.

1. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We love St Ives- counting the days now until we go again!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

To be honest, you're not going to find anywhere that's too far from Eden!

Will you be driving? Where else would you like to visit? Walks?

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

We've not anything concrete in mind. I'd like to go to the national park and we'd need a day or two suitable for a 12 year old boy too.
    I think a visit to Land's End would be good but would I be letting myself in for an anticlimax?

4. lilachardy

I've not been to Land's End since they made it into a theme park!

Which National Park?

12 year old boy... what sort of thing does he like?

5. We like the Roseland Peninsula and the Helford River area. Also Padstow, Boscastle, Tintagel, Fowey, Looe
    St Ives is nice but it gets rammed and it's a nightmare with a car.
    Places to avoid:
    Marazion
    Penzance
    Carbis Bay

6. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

For the past three years (during May half term) me and my boyfriend have stayed in a lodge here:

http://www.parkdeanholidays.co.uk/cornwall-holidays/st-minver/st-minver-holiday-park.htm

(Sorry, can't do links because I'm using Chrome) We have visited both Land's End and Eden Project from here.

7. Milkandchalk

I was thinkingDartmoor but Exmoor is near there too. We like walking and my cousin and I like to shop!
    I'd love to try surfing too.

8. lilachardy

Neither Dartmoor nor Exmoor are in Cornwall!

For surfing you want the north coast ideally.

9. Milkandchalk

As you can see, I am not a well seasoned traveller. I just go by what Google Maps tells me1

10. Milkandchalk

Would somewhere near Exmoor be central enough or should I look further West?

11. Thanks Captain Oats, I followed the link and I've just booked for the end of July - yipee!

12. lilachardy

Google maps won't tell you Exmoor is in Cornwall, I can promise you that!

13. Milkandchalk

I didnt zoom in enough to see!

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

When I was 20, Cornwall was a magical place. Like stepping into another planet. Later, after some of my family moved there I saw much more of it and it slowly lost its attraction for me, but I wouldn't discourage anyone to go there. Like everywhere, it has to make a living from tourism, but I believe it still retains a charm.
    It's a place eccentrics love, artists too.
    Avoid anything set up as an attraction and suss out what the locals do. I've had some great nights listening to the pub choirs, had a great night at the Minnack Theatre and a fascinating day at the museaum of mechanical music at Marrazion, although I've been told this may no longer be there.

15. karentee

karentee New commenter

It very much depends on what part of cornwall you want to see, you could stay on Dartmoor, maybe around Okehampton and The Eden project is about an hours drive (dependent on traffic) but you're much better off staying in Cornwall itself, have you thought about somewhere like Charlestown? Lovley fishing port, not far from eden and quite easy to get to other places from, Lands End is a fair trek from Eden though, I wouldn't recommend it! You could cycle along the pentewan valley cycle track to Pentewan beach and up to Heligan gardens if you like that kind of thing?

16. Charlestown is about 5 mins from me. I find it pretty central to drive everywhere! just over an hour to penzance in traffic, 45 mins from falmouth which is lovely, the only about an hour from plymouth

17. I live far west, and at the moment when I drive to work in the sunshine I can't help thinking how lucky I am to live in this part of Cornwall.

Land's End isn't really a theme park, yes there are now a few extra things there (like the Doctor Who exhibit) but you only pay for what you choose to go into, and even that doesn't change the view from there.
    Sennen Beach is very close and lovely to visit. Anywhere between St Just and St Ives along the old coast road is lovely, and such a gorgeous view. St Ives does get busy that time of year, but then so too do most towns/villages in Cornwall in the summer! Although a previous poster said avoid penzance marazion and Carbis Bay, theyall have fab points about them! They're about 45 mins from Eden. Carbis Bay is far enough out of St Ives that's it's not too touristy, and marazion is where you go across to St Michael's Mount.
    Porthcurno is well worth a visit - for the minack Theatre and the Telegraph Musuem and war tunnels.
    The Lizard is gorgeous too, and loads of lovely walks around there. Somewhere along the river fal would also be lovely to stay - you can get a boat from falmouth to Truro and it's a really nice afternoon along the river. Lost Gardens Of Heligan is around that area too if you fancy that.
    http://www.aspects-holidays.co.uk/ hire out holiday cottages, and some of them are lovely. My Dad stayed in one recently and we were all very impressed.
    if you want something more dartmoor-ish then you could stay somewhere near Bodmin - Bodmin Moor has lots of tors which are worth a good hike! Also theres the Camel trail that runs from bodmin to padstow - brilliant for cycling along!
    Wow, just realised I sound like I work for the tourist board!

18. Milkandchalk

Thanks for all recommendations and suggestions. I've shortlisted a few from the aspects website and will continue to look once I've got a concrete price range.
    if anyone has any other ideas of things we should get out and see then I'm open to suggestions.

19. btw OP - if you're going at the end of July you need to book up quickly! You're probably too late for most good places. And self-catering accommodation in Cornwall is not cheap - expect to pay about £800 per week for somewhere decent that sleeps 5, maybe more.
    If you can't find anywhere maybe consider Pembrokeshire as an alternative.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you want to avoid the hordes I'd suggest the N Cornwall coast around Bude, and not venturing any further south west than Wadebridge, but each to their own.

If you end up in the Newquay area (God help you) and don't want to endure a beach session at the heaving zoo that is Fistral, try Crantock, the next bay along. Much quieter and far more agreeable.