1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

places of relative safety

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jan 24, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Whether in the form of, say, venomous snakes or earthquakes, we in the UK have it pretty good. That's not to say that floods wrc don't cause a lot of pain.

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Agreed. That said, I'd be reluctant to live near the coast again (we lost the gable end of our roof in a 1989 storm on the south coast). Moving back up to the London suburbs gave me a great sense of security in that we would be unlikely to face such vicious gales again as we are in a sheltered position here. This has so far proven to be the case. If I had to move anywhere else I'd be checking thoroughly with regard to the risk of flooding, though, as that seems to be a growing source of worry, as you say.

nizebaby likes this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

There are probably places of "relative safety" in many areas. I guess it would be possible to find a place with the lowest risks of natural disaster, aircraft falling on you, cars/trucks crashing into your house, crime, animal mauling, insect vectored infection, food poisoning. And it depends on your preferences as to whether you are risk averse to what degree. No doubt there is some website or blog somewhere that would inform you of these things. Insurance companies have some such data don't they.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

well, I certainly regularly celebrate our freedom from volcanoes, malaria, war, famine,cholera, polar bears and other large carnivores, typhoons, drought, and many other dangers, diseases and deaths faced daily by other people in other places.

We must be among the luckiest people in the world

5. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, living in a place of relative safety renders some people incapable of comprehending the dangers that other human beings have to contend with on a daily basis, let alone showing any empathy or compassion.

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Don't forget the SCOTTISH MIDGES. :eek:
    They make many a Scottish holiday a misery!!!

7. smoothnewt

And yet this country has an excellent track record in being a top donator when natural disasters strike. The public have dipped deep into their pockets in the event of DEC appeals.

alex_teccy likes this.
  8. colacao17

Money's not a lot of help when you're in a dangerous situation. Refuge, in a safe place, is what's needed. And natural disasters aren't the only source of danger (and possibly neither the worst nor the most common).

9. smoothnewt

I was responding to your comment that people living in relative safety, eg us in the UK, don’t necessarily show empathy or compassion. The fact that we respond so positively to DEC appeals, and that we give so much to charities working overseas, shows that we patently do care.

Alice K likes this.
  10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It does strike me that settling in Australia was a slightly batty thing to do, considering the wealth of wild animals there that are perfectly capable of killing or inflicting severe harm on hapless humans.

lindenlea, Alice K and BertieBassett2 like this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The first British people who settled there didn't have a choice!

12. colacao17

Some people donate.
    Some people would like to see the UK more generous when it comes to granting asylum to those in danger.
    Donating money helps to salve the conscience over that though

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I often say that we live in one of the most benign parts of one of the world's most benign countries. We don't get floods despite being about 1/4 of a mile from the river and we are far enough inland for storms from any direction to have lost their worst energy by the time they get here. Having said that, the hottest temperature ever recorded in the UK last summer was within 20 miles of here.

nomad likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Pretty much the safest place on the planet!

[​IMG]

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Zombie attacks???

[​IMG]

caress and primarycat like this.
  18. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Not if you're a fan of Stargate SG-1, it's frequently getting invaded by aliens!

towncryer and nomad like this.
  19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I give up, what is it?

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It is a safe space in a lift shaft, above, below or to the side of the lift itself.

(Bruce Willis never bothered with them!! :D)

Mangleworzle and Rott Weiler like this.