1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

placements at glasgow university for the BEd-are they mostly in catholic schools?

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by jacquimurray31, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Deciding if to go to Glagow or Strathclyde for BEd this year.Can anyone tell me if most of the placements at Glasgow Uni are in catholic schools or can you request a non-denominational school? If I plan to teach in the non-denominational sector would I be better going to Strathclyde as I have an unconditional for both? Also how much of the course at Glasgow is taken up with the catholic christianity module.Advice appreciated please as don't want to make the wrong decision.
    many thanks

2. Deciding if to go to Glagow or Strathclyde for BEd this year.Can anyone tell me if most of the placements at Glasgow Uni are in catholic schools or can you request a non-denominational school? If I plan to teach in the non-denominational sector would I be better going to Strathclyde as I have an unconditional for both? Also how much of the course at Glasgow is taken up with the catholic christianity module.Advice appreciated please as don't want to make the wrong decision.
    many thanks

3. Congratulations on being accepted to both!

As far as I'm aware, at Glasgow you only study for catholic teaching if you choose to. You have to fill out a form and get it signed by a priest in order to be able to do so. So youwouldn't be able to work in a catholic school anyway unless you did that part of the course. I have no idea how much of the course it is though, sorry!

4. You can work in a denominational school without the Catholic Teaching Certificate. Thousands of teachers do.

5. Really? I've been told that you need to have it. I suppose that would be discriminating a bit.

What's the point of CTC then? Is it so that you can teach RE in schools?

6. You can't teach PSE, RE or take on pastoral roles without it. You also need it if you want to apply for post of responsibility in a Catholic school.

However, it's worth keeping an eye on the situation: in the past, Catholic schools couldn't demand the CTC for all teachers because they would have found it difficult to fill posts; with the jobs shortage at the moment, schools can be more choosy, and there are moves afoot by some to demand a CTC for all posts. Not there yet, though, as far as I know.