1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Placement situation - what happens here?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by RoseRodent, Feb 20, 2008.

1. I have been reported by the class teacher as "cause for concern" on my current placement. I will just let you know that this is my 4th placement and I have breezed through all of the others with no problems. Almost every time that particular teacher observes me she thinks I have done a terrible fail lesson. EVERY time, without exception, that someone else has observed they report the lessons as being of the pass standard. The school is now saying that I am "inconsistent" but with the evidence that only one person is saying things are poor then either she is marking me more harshly than the others or she is doing something that makes my lessons with her fail. The school is wanting to report I am still failing because of the 'inconsistent' performance, but first up all the other students are passed on the basis of only one good observation (tutor visit) and it doesn't matter if they have had a few disasters along the way, particularly if they are able to evaluate them properly - why is this being viewed differently? And second, if a variety of others have judged the performance pass-worthy why is her opinion carrying so much weight? I don't know how much all this is fuss about nothing but it is stressing me out so much I am thinking of calling in sick tomorrow because I can't work with this woman and am so badly stressed(her jobshare partner is back on Friday). I am kept awake by nightmares about her walking into my lessons and taking kids away or giving them balloons or a thousand other insane varieties! Anyone any experience that might help?

2. I have been reported by the class teacher as "cause for concern" on my current placement. I will just let you know that this is my 4th placement and I have breezed through all of the others with no problems. Almost every time that particular teacher observes me she thinks I have done a terrible fail lesson. EVERY time, without exception, that someone else has observed they report the lessons as being of the pass standard. The school is now saying that I am "inconsistent" but with the evidence that only one person is saying things are poor then either she is marking me more harshly than the others or she is doing something that makes my lessons with her fail. The school is wanting to report I am still failing because of the 'inconsistent' performance, but first up all the other students are passed on the basis of only one good observation (tutor visit) and it doesn't matter if they have had a few disasters along the way, particularly if they are able to evaluate them properly - why is this being viewed differently? And second, if a variety of others have judged the performance pass-worthy why is her opinion carrying so much weight? I don't know how much all this is fuss about nothing but it is stressing me out so much I am thinking of calling in sick tomorrow because I can't work with this woman and am so badly stressed(her jobshare partner is back on Friday). I am kept awake by nightmares about her walking into my lessons and taking kids away or giving them balloons or a thousand other insane varieties! Anyone any experience that might help?

3. I know this isn't what you want to hear but a cause for concern could be a GOOD thing because it will result in you sitting down with either your mentor or a university tutor and working out an action plan of what needs to be done in order to improve. Then, if you're doing those things and you can document it (e.g. children's work, lesson plans etc.) there's no way this tutor can keep on failing you.

4. hmmmm, I've been there. Anyone who says a CFC is a good thing has never been in the situation, it's god awful. When you do get the action plan and the points to improve;

1. Make sure you are actively meeting the targets, show them, tell them, shout it from the rooftops, tell them just how much work you're putting in to meet these targets.

2. If they offer you extra support keep fighting for it, it's likely they'll offer you something like the opportunity to observe good practice across the school. In my experience what they offer you and what happens in the reality of a busy school is very different. They're getting a free teacher for 6-8 weeks, the least they can do is give you the help and support you deserve and they have offered.

Michael,

P.s. - i failed a practice because of a CfC, and have recently passed my last practice with perfect grades... so keep fighting, keep working, you'll get there.

5. >>it's likely they'll offer you something like the opportunity to observe good practice across the school

Funny you should say that because the school offered and the university refused!! They are not prepared to allow me to do that, they have offered to extend my placement another week and the SCHOOL has said no!! AAAARRGGHHHH! I am really pooping myself with this, because I cannot afford to repeat the placement, my childcare money will run out.

6. Sounds like a tricky situation.

If you're happy that you're meeting the targets they have set - excellent, don't forget to ask the CT or school mentor if they think you are doing this.

If you think you're struggling to meet the targets OR that school mentor / CT thinks you're not moving in the right direction make sure you get the support you deserve now! Don't leave it too late.

Good communication and really focusing on those areas of improvement will get you through.

my 2p worth (added to my origional 2p worth) My 4p worth.

Michael

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

There will be extra weight given to the opinion of the class teacher, partly because they see more of you and partly because tutors have to be seen to value what practising teachers say - tutors may not have taught for some time, remember.

Show willing, learn as much as you can, stay positive and keep smiling 'til the day you can leave that placement for ever and ever!

8. I really had bad first placement and they failed me. But University tutor passed me and the second placment, all my lesson are 'great' or only minor places to improve.

What happened in the first placement, when they said, I was not progressing enough, I got really stressed and started crying.

Then my SM and PM enjoyed making me more worried and all the time they said I was called for cause for concern and I will fail for sure. But I tried my best til the end, I worked day and night. I also got kids, so doing it next year is bit hard for me.

So don't show them your worry, always talk that I know I need to focus on this and this. Always say that I will pass, I will pass- and talk to the teacher- about your previous school report and all. Try to impress her. Be professional all the time.
    Don't gossip about her in school.

I am sure you will pass at the end.

9. With the best will in the world there isn't a single person who won't put more effort into a lesson that they know is being observed by people they deem important. that is one of the reasons they will listen to the everyday teacher more. When you have a teaching post you are observed so rarely that they have to be confident that you have the self-discipline to provide good lessons all of the time.

I am not saying that you are doing anything deliberately, but it is hard to not put that little something extra in.

Also, your class teacher will have many observation forms which are evidence of what is going wrong. It will not all be opinion, but '... did this', 'students responded like this...', students have talked to me about their concerns', and so on.

If the teacher has been given more high quality lesson grades themselves, then their opinion might carry more weight, but also they might be more demanding in what they expect.

Just a few thoughts. Try asking this teacher for more feedback. One of the most frustrating things as a mentor is to not be able to encourage the trainee to reflect more on the appropriateness of what they are doing because the student is not willing to ask for advice BEFORE THE LESSON.

Hope that has helped you to see things from the other side a bit. Hope you manage to get things resolved successfully. BTW, I was a 'failing' student teacher who is now very successful, so it is possible.

10. Reading this made me smile as I am on my first Secondary placement. Only been here for 2 weeks and does not feel like it is going too well. Personally feel like I am not fit to teach as I cannot seem to get a good lesson across to the pupils. I am having massive lack of confidence thoughts and was just wondering about how other trainee students manage. I did ask myself a question and that maybe not all of us can teach, even the best students on a course who fly through with top grades may not be teaching material ?
    I was observed by my Uni Tutor, got a 3 and lots of action points to address. I know what I have to do but finding it hard to apply those improvements. I suppose if targets cannot be met then is it a kick up the backside ?