1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Placement schools both in single sex

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by smooshall, Jan 8, 2011.

1. I did not intend to ignore your comments and I'm sorry about that. I did take them into account. To be honest the biggest problem I have with the school is that it is 2 hours there and 2 hours back. I might as well be doing the placement in a different city.

I am sorry to have started a petty argument, it really wasn't my intention. I do feel as though saying that I am lucky to have a placement is like saying that I would be lucky if I bought a TV that worked. These days many TVs are dropped in depots by work people and still sold on. I understand and accept universities may be struggling to find placement schools for people, but I really don't think I am lucky to be paying for a service and not be receiving that service as sold. I think it's ridiculous to think of a placement in that way. Maybe because you guys are on the other end and looking for placements for people and understand how difficult it is. But I don't think I should consider myself lucky to get a placement which is part of a PGCE course. If it was a game of luck, and I might get a placement I might not, then I would consider myself lucky.

I was mainly concerned that say if I had to go to this school, would it affect my job prospects as I have been to two single sex schools. Clearly the answer in your opinions is no. Thank you for your responses.

2. Thank you for your reply, and explaining it to me. It would have been nice to have been told this, though, before I accepted the place, rather than being told: 'We have lots of schools in London, and therefore if you have to do a long journey it will only be on one tube line, and less than an hour and a half.' If the case was: 'We may have to send you to a school over two hours away because placing pupils is hard', even if this was the case everywhere, I would have considered a different route through teacher training. You can understand that I feel that I have been lied to, and in effect miss-sold a service. The thing is that I would have considered moving out in order to be in an ideal location, but now it's too late to apply for any sort of loans and the placement is only a couple of months and so it would be difficult to find a place, though am about to look into it!

Sorry if I have appeared rude, but I think it is fair to be angry with the universities for prior to my application even to tell me that I shouldn't worry about placement schools.

3. To get back to the original concern about single sex placements. The requirements specify that you must have at least one placement ion a state school and that you should experience teaching both sexes. As such two single sex placements is acceptable, though not ideal as there is a greater liklihood of you teaching in a mixed school.
    Placements are very difficult for unis as we have to balance where the placem,ent is, the quality of training and the experience that the traionee will have. Added to that, as has been stated, schools are not obliged to offer a placement and they can be withdrawn at a moment's notice. Some unis fair better than others but we all have our problems. I have to admit that Gove's idea that all training should take place in schools will be very much a pipe dream unless the gov. decides to make it compulsory for schools to take students - even then, it won't guarantee quality placements or training - after all a school sees its number one priority as teaching children.
    I think that you will also find that the offer proivided by the university will be subject to there being a suitable placement - certainly all our offers at Sussex are phrased as such and we also try to be open and honest about travelling (the majority of journeys can be up to an hour each way) though even with us we have somne students travelling further and for longer - then we do try our uttmost to provide a second placement that is close.
    Ultimately it seems to be the travel that is more of a concern than the placement - in some instances trainees who have a long train journey arrange planning/marking (though you have to be careful about not losing stuff on trains or leaving confidential information lying around) and try to be productive on journeys (even for example increasing subject knowledge with podcasts, reading etc.)
    Talk to your tutors, but going in 'angry' won't solve the problem.
    James

4. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

You did not mention how far your first placement was or if you drive or not. If you drive, universities would normally place you quite far away and pay for some travel cost. Also if your first placement is quite near then it is normal to have the 2nd placement to be quite far away.In term of the type of schools, I would swap anything during my PGCE to be placed in an independent school to see what it is like, to be able to teach high ability pupils and learn some skills that I did not gain in a normal school. Your experience would not be as much as someone who is placed in a normal comp and a private school. But that rarely happens so I would agree with other posters and just concentrate on the placement.

About job prospect, depend on what type of school you want to work in. My previous experience and placements during my PGCE was all at inner city or low achieving comprehensive schools, it did not stop me from getting interviews and gaining a job in a grammar though.

• Thanks for your comments. I don't seem to be able to get spaces so I will try it like this.
    • Firstly, I'd just like to say that the situation has been changed now. My tutor rang me up, and said that she has had a think and she has swapped three of us around so that we all have shortened journeys. I think it was just a bit of not really thinking about what would be easiest for everybody.
    • The journey time would have been unacceptable by the unis standards which say that they do not expect students to travel for over two hours. I don't drive, and have had a really good placement this time around in terms of distance as it is only a short distance away.
    • The new placement is a mixed comprehensive and is a single bus journey away. To be honest, the concern wasnt really the journey time but the complexity of the journey (a bus, then a tube, then a over ground, then a bus...)
    • I wouldn't have gone in angry, but had the situation not been rectified, I would certainly have wanted some sort of compensation for having to do such a long journey time! Just to clarify that I realise getting angry wouldn't have solved any problems. But had they said that they didn't have a placement school for me, I think it would be fair to say that I would be a little bit angry!
    • to prime numbers i know a private school would have been good to work in and i think with all the extra curricular stuff in music they had going on, if i could have gotten involved it would have been great for me.

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I hope you are not this snappish in response to the experienced professionals helping you on your practice. James is an expert. I wouldn't dismiss his advice quite so quickly if I was you.
    My advice on practice: you have two eyes, two ears and only one mouth; use them in that proportion.

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Unfortunately, you don't come across very well. Easier to lash out at other and say they are the nasty ones, accusing you and so on. Less easy to admit that you don't come across well.
    Take care.