1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Placement - helppp!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by minal88, Sep 16, 2011.

1. I am starting my pgce on Monday 19th of September and as my placement have not contacted me i thought it would be a good idea to go and meet them. From this meeting it appears that they don't seem to know how the placement works, what they're supposed to do or anything to do with the course. They said they are happy for me to observe :S but i dont want to observe... i want to learn how to teach and teach!... i'm so upset as this is the last thing i wanted. My mentor has not been replying to emails from the placement coordinator so a date has not even been set for me to start. he just seemed like he was to busy. Should i complain to my university.. iam paying for this course and want the best out of it.

2. Im sorry but as trainee teacher ( Final year of 4 year degree ), you need to come back down to reality and realise your the last thing the teacher or school will be focusing on. In most of my placements so far, iv shown up and the schools have often not known or forgotten they said they would have me!
    Secondly, you can not show up on your first day and just expect to teach, you need to see how the teacher deals with behaviour mangement, organises groupings and over-all teacher duties. Once your due to start im sure the CT will discuss your placement and what you are expected to teach.
    Good luck

3. Why did you go meet your school already??

You haven't started your pgce yet!!! I'm imagining they just couldn't wait to get rid of you, they probably don't know what they're doing because they haven't been told yet, probably because their student hasn't started their pgce yet.

We have been told at uni strictly no contact with our school when we find out the details.

I don't know if I'm being dumb, but I can't actually comprehend why you'd go and meet them, but maybe i'm being silly.

I wouldn't worry too much, they'll find out what they have to do for you soon.

4. If you are doing a 'standard' PGCE your first placement won't be for a couple of months so the chances are they actually don't know what they are meant to be doing with you!
    At first you will be eased in gently, taking the register, doing a brief activity, then build up slowly until you are teaching around 40-60% of a timetable, in your second placement you will do more teaching but still only 80% max. We all want to teach, but believe me you'll really appreciate spending that time observing the teachers and getting to know the class, building working relationships with both without walking in and taking over.
    Good luck with it all.

5. Thanks for both replies.. makes me feel much better and relaxed :) Miss_Hopefully, I went to meet them because I want to show them that I am enthusiastic.. i didnt go expecting to teach obviously - i know i will probably be observing first month!! i jus went to introduce myself and meet my department.. Basically just to have a friendly chat with the teachers.. They were friendly just seemed clueless and didnt even know what they had to do.. but as you said they probably dont know yet.. we have NOT been given strict orders in terms of contacting our colleges. Infact I was given my mentors email address. a lot of the students on the pgce course have already been to meet their placement colleges and mentors.. infact they have been invited by their college.. as i hadnt been i thought i would take the initiative... And NO they did not want to get RID OF ME.. to be honest the teacher wanted me to stay back and sit in one of the Psychology classes so he could introduce me to my students :).. but like you said I will wait till my course starts next week and see what happens from there. Thanks

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Don't worry that the school don't seem to know what to do with you. It might be they have never had a student before, or one from your university, so are unsure as to how long you spend observing, when you start teaching and to which classes etc.
    Your university should give you a detailed information pack and a copy for your school. They will also give you instructions about your first day/week/month.
    The first few weeks back are often manic and most teachers are frazzled by now. If I had a student starting in a few weeks' time, I doubt I'd have thought about reading any information about what they're supposed to be doing: I have other things to do!
    It is a crazy time on the PGCE, but it'll all be fine!

7. Thank you Sillow for an informative response.. :) It all makes more sense now!!! I am a bit of a panicker but thank you!!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our student teachers arrive with a pack that tells us what they are to do. We don't see it in advance. As we have had several students now, we have some idea but if I wasn't there (as co-ordinator) chances are no-one else would have a clue. You'd still have a fab time on placement and would get to teach eventually, if you showed yourself capable, but not an awful lot to start with. And you would definitely be observing for a fair part of the time, how else are you planning to learn?

9. It is unusual for trainees to know their placements before they start the course. Placements can a do changesometimes at the last minute.
    Visiting them probably caught them off guard - if the school is new to ITT and this university they will probably be attending some form of mentor training in the early part of the year, for example we will be hosting our partner schools at Sussex this coming Thursday and some new schools/mentors will have a training session to tell them about the course and expectations.
    Our trainees will be told their schoolls probably on Monday and meet their school representatives on Thursday.
    Our trainees start in their placment schools a week on monday so it is not always the case that you spend a long time at University before you start on placement.
    James

10. Yes i also start mine on monday!! Cant wait :)