1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Placement for children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrjoemaths, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mrjoemaths

mrjoemaths New commenter

Hi all,

Quick question - I am a Primary School teacher movibg vack to UK after 5 years International teaching. I also have a 1 year old daughtwr.

In the state system will she get a place at the school I end up working at, or will it be strictly by catchment area?

Just need to know how carefully I need to look at local schools when house hunting!

Cheers!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It depends on the admissions policy of the school. Some do now have priority for staff children, but I think it's relatively uncommon.
    She wouldn't necessarily have to go to your catchment area school; parents can apply for a place in whichever schools they choose, but where a school is oversubscribed, those living nearest get priority. In some areas that can mean that your nearest school is the only option, or even that the second nearest is the only option!

Marshall and mrjoemaths like this.
  3. mrjoemaths

mrjoemaths New commenter

Wonderful, thank you for the information, it clears things up!

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you will just apply along with everybody else, you don't know where your child will end up, more than half get into their first or second choice of school, but not everybody does.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you are moving back after five years of international teaching, you might well find it preferable to work in the independent sector here. It will be far more similar to what you are used to and are more likely to value your international experience. In such a school you will almost certainly get a fee reduction, though the amount varies widely. Some schools it's around 10%, some more than 50%.

If you and your daughter do into the state sector, it will depend on where you move to how likely you are to get the place of your choice for your daughter. In all the villages where I live, you'd not have a hope of her getting in unless you live in the village itself. Working in the school would have no bearing on this.

However in the city not too far away, you'd be able to pick and choose from any of the schools as none are over subscribed, even the really excellent ones.