1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Place your C-word blacklist here.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by xena-warrior, Nov 2, 2015.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Why am I watching Christmas ads on November 2nd?
    I name thee, Perfect Home.
    I name thee, Lidl.
    Now kiss my custom goodbye.

lizziescat, Flere-Imsaho and GLsghost like this.
  2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Shame on me for 'Liking' your post, when I know I shall be shoving Lidl's 3-bird roast into my freezer sometime soon... :oops:

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I have an entirely different C-word blacklist in my mind.

midnight_angel likes this.
  4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

That blinkin Disneyland Paris ad has been on for ages now;

''We all wish Christmas could start a little earlier''

NO WE DON'T

ScotSEN, Dragonlady30 and ilovesooty like this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Me too.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The whole of Christmas is on my black list.

GLsghost likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

They're still too late for some. I was buying a sieve in Lakeland at the weekend and a woman was boasting that the lollipop kit she was buying was her last gift.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

A lollipop kit as a Christmas gift?

The Lidl one really annoys. But I will still shop there. Disneyland Paris- meh. That'll never happen.

9. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Xmas is on my black list too this year. Time for some other mums to take the strain I think. The building work is just too difficult this year, is my excuse, ( makes off to somewhere like the Grand). Na, not there, but you get my drift.

I am really fed up with that advert with a scarf and a little boy at the moment. As if he can sew? Not that bank accounts have much to do with Xmas, or do they?

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Christmas Day Taxiing.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Isn't it a knitted one?

12. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Lord K is watching DDD. Apparently some brand of chocolate is 'sponsoring Christmas on Food Network' as advertised at EVERY ad break!
    ' it's not Christmas there is no link to Christmas in the programme arrgghh.

I have just been told to stop shouting at the television....

* quietly grumbles 'bah humbug'

13. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Yes, it's knitted, but my finely tuned attention to detail suggested it was being sewn up by a five year old after he ran down to the shop with the wool in to buy some to sew it up, leading, 30 years later to a nice lady finding it on a train because the man was no brighter than the boy at keeping anything safe! Damn, I should have put that on the scary story thread instead.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My mother was an accomplished knittist, however I remember that when she made jumpers and the like, it involving a fair amount of sewing the knitted sections together.

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You don't have to sew if it's a scarf.

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Not usually with scarves though. They come in one long piece.

17. xena-warrior

Slightly bitter moi, because I had mistakenly believed (my mistake) that I would be the guest at a Christmas lunch this year cooked by someone else. Turns out if I'm not the actual chef, I'm definitely kitchen b*atch.
    Looking forward to the day (before I die of old age) when I spend Christmas Day (1) waited on and (2) p*s$ed.

GLsghost likes this.
  18. xena-warrior

My Dad's cousin is 93. Since the arrival of the granddaughters, she has sent on average one knitted cardigan/jacket/jumper a month :) She also makes lace, which is featuring in my niece's headdress at her wedding. How she fits all this in between the Monday group, the Wednesday group, Evensong and the WI is a mystery to me.

19. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

You have to sew them up if your five year old makes an 'ole in them. Or you could just chuck it in the bin, and look up actual interest rates you might get in various banks?

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You might do. I remember my mum knitted a scarf that had different colours on the back to those on the front. Essentially it was two sections of knitting sewn back to back. What this actually means, I now realise as I type, is that the scarf had two fronts rather than a front and a back.