1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Place your bets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gremlin01, Apr 8, 2011.

1. So will anyone else be placing bets on the Grand National tomorrow?
    I know there is a sports board but doubt many people go there.
    I will be having a flutter but will probably do my usual tactic of chosing based on name

2. I shut my eyes & point to one. It's a lottery really!

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

That's a complete fallacy these days. It's normally won by a horse where patterns of form can be discerned.

4. However, as someone who knows very little about horses or horse racing shutting my eyes is still probably the best bet! It's only a bit of fun anyway!

5. I have placed my bets! Last year was a disaster and broke a run of success. Fingers crossed for today.

6. Ive put a tenner on the second favourite (the midnight club), and got a free bet for signing up so put that on the favourite (dont push it). Ive not bet on the National since I was a kid and my dad used to let me choose a horse! I also clicked each way even though I dont fully understand it - I get some money if its in the top 5 apparently?

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Silver by Nature to win (14/1) , with Calgary bay (28/1) the outsider to be 'placed'
    <h6 class="uiStreamMessage">.</h6>

8. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I put a pound on tidal bay in honour of our very own tidal x

9. I will absolutely not be betting on this race.

10. No.
    I will not bet on animals.

11. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

not even the football?
    arbor supreme for a place

12. Whilst I acknowledge that many footballers could be considered animals, they choose to play football.
    Animals do not choose to participate in sport.

13. Couple of quid each way on Midnight club and a quid each way on silver by nature and another that I can't remember.
    OH and his mates flatly refused to go into the bookies because 'the regulars look at you funny'. So little old me was forced to go in and place everyones bets, was offered help by a couple of the men in there so didn't look too much of an idiot.
    Always have a flutter on the national because my grandad used to let us pick a horse when we were little.
    Fingers crossed- my work shoes are falling to bits so could do with some extra cash

14. Oh yes. Had Ballabrigs and also Oscar Time each way. Woo hoo.