1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Place Value

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hulamaru, Sep 10, 2016.

1. hulamaru

hulamaru New commenter

Just wondering about the calculation policy in your school... Are you using Tens and Units or Tens and Ones? Have you used both or had more success with one over the other? :)

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

We use tens and ones.

I'd say is six of one and half a dozen of the other!

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

we have moved over to ones, in line with the New Curriculum-although I still forget and say units at times!

4. hulamaru

hulamaru New commenter

Great thank you :)

5. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

Exactly the same including forgetting and calling them units.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Same here.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can someone explain why they've changed from 'units' to 'ones'? The rationale behind it as it were.

I can see some children being confused when thinking of units larger than one as a 'one'. Perhaps that's me just being old-fashioned though.;)

8. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

My guess would be to do with when you use manipulatives to demonstrate numbers. Guess saying it has 7 units and 3 tens could make you wonder why they aren't all units whereas saying ones would show a clearer way of seven and thirty.

As I say it's only a guess and I'm as guilty of still calling them units.

9. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Tens and ones, however I think it's important to still use the word units occasionally - just in case they encounter that word somewhere else. I do this with other words the new NC has changed too!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

I assume it was changed because a unit can be any number at all, not necessarily one.
    Give greater scope for problem solving and puzzling maths.

And we use the term 'units of measurement' and we don't mean a one,

11. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I use both terms. Partly because it is something I gave always done and partly so they have a clue what their parents are talking about when they are sharing what they do at school. If they ever do!

I think there is a place for both. You could argue for either and forget that what matters is whether the children understand the concept of place value. Besides that, the powers that be will change their minds in a few years anyway.

12. cactusstorm

cactusstorm New commenter

In my lessons during placement I kept slipping up and saying units but having spent the week teaching place value I now automatically say ones. Given that I always have concrete manipulatives for the lesson it kind of helps as you talk about counting one square.

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think it was to stop the confusion between units of number and units of measure!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

They are probably cubes not squares... ;)

Camokidmommy likes this.
  15. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

As above. Units can be more than one so we could count in units of tens for example.