1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Place value

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Geoff Thomas, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I came across this method of teaching place value. I'm not a primary teacher; so cannot comment as one, but it looks as though it might have a place in the classroom?

Place value teacher

2. MannyDog

MannyDog New commenter

I've stuck that on Pinterest - nice idea!

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

That does look like a great idea!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you search Pinterest there are hundreds of examples

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Yes, it has a place in the classroom: In the bin.

This thing does not teach place value. Those cups and that roller make no reference to place value. They are untidy, informal, the colours make no sense and the mechanism diverts children's attention from the actual principle of place value. The paper cup number line? I shouldn't have to point out its fundamental problem as a representation of the set of integers so I'm not going to. I find it hard to believe that anyone would pay money for these things.

Teach place value in the way that works, the traditional way, by writing letters on a board to represent units, tens, hundreds &c, write digits beneath them, model the naming of these full numbers and ask students to speak other examples. Practise this as often as necessary. It's basic.

I observe many trainee teachers who don't understand the fundamentals of the topics they are meant to be teaching and find they pour almost limitless energy into cute Blue Peter projects like this in attempt to hide this fact. They don't fare well by me, by and large. In summary, any teaching prop which is not a direct analogue of the written or drawn maths students will be required to execute or which requires that they be instructed in its use that they may learn something far less complicated is bad teaching.