1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Place Value

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, Aug 26, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am looking for some advice on teaching place value. There are a small group in the class I am about to get who have only looked at numbers to 100. However I hope to revise this and begin to look at numbers to 1,000. How would you recommend me introducing this. How do you normally teach this?
    Do you have any resources I could use to help me teach the concept of the importance of 0. I have made place value cards for the children to use.

Thanks in advance :)

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am looking for some advice on teaching place value. There are a small group in the class I am about to get who have only looked at numbers to 100. However I hope to revise this and begin to look at numbers to 1,000. How would you recommend me introducing this. How do you normally teach this?
    Do you have any resources I could use to help me teach the concept of the importance of 0. I have made place value cards for the children to use.

Thanks in advance :)

3. Have a look at the Year 3 on this page on the website shown below. It shows place - value models which might be useful. You will need to copy & paste.
    http://uk.ixl.com/?gclid=COfPyJD87aoCFdQOfAodERskOg

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Thanks Mags will do that now :)

5. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Yes it does help..so basically rather than just write a number on the board I should show them this visually? I am a little nervous teaching this to be honest I hope I do not confuse them more.

6. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

You don't say what stage you are teaching but, in general, with younger pupils it is important to establish the mathematical concept, with concrete materials, before moving on to represent it as an abstract mathematical value using columns for units, tens, hundreds etc.
    Some of the problems children, and adults, experience with Maths at school, and in later life, are a result of never having fully understood the underlying mathematical concept.
    They memorise 'how to do' a particular calculation without really understanding what they are doing. Once they forget 'how to do it', they get themselves into a complete muddle.
    For example, in a subtraction 'sum' with decomposition, such as 305 take away 216, they can't take 6 from 5 so they just take 5 from 6 and put a 1 in the units column. They vaguely remember 'how to do it' but don't really understand what it is they are doing. Using concrete base 10 materials you can physically demonstrate the decomposition process.
    However you decide to teach 'thousands', you have to get across the concept that 1000 is 10 bundles of 100 and not just another column on the paper, or board.
    Good luck.

7. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I really like what you have written here as it all makes sense. Is there any where I can get more help with active maths like this and ideas?

8. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Here is one example of where Base 10 materials can be bought:
    www.glsed.co.uk/productlist/Numeracy/Place-Value
    They have a plastic Multi-Base 10 Set, a wooden Base 10 Set and a Base 10 Volume / Value Set.
    Other educational suppliers such as Arnolds and Hope have similar resources.
    If you want an online pictorial representation of Base 10 calculations, you could try:
    http://uk.ixl.com/math/year-3/place-value-models-up-to-thousands
    You may also want to look at:
    http://uk.ixl.com/math/standards/Scotland
    I hope this helps.