1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Place value - Year 1 - please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by star17, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Anybody able to help? Thanks x

2. As my first step I use base 10 equipment (rods of 10 and unit cubes) and we make numbers, so if we're doing 16 I show them that there is a 1 in the tens column which means there's 1 ten (so we take a stick of ten), and 6 in the units column (so we take 6 unit cubes) then we count to check it makes 16.
    I then add a unit, and show them how it changes to 17 (still 1 ten, but one more unit).
    Then move to adding more tens (So if we've got 2 sticks of 10 that is 10..20...and then 3 units is 21, 22, 23)
    You can then start asking things like what would the number be if I added 1 more ten? Do I need to count or can I spot the pattern?
    Partitioning numbers into their tens and units would come after that, and thats when I use the arrow cards, but I think the physical manipulation of cubes in tens and units to make numbers is the very first set.
    Model bridging 10 too - at the moment ive got 1 ten and 9 units..if I add more, this becomes a stick of 10 so I now have 2 tens and 0 units - 20.

3. Thanks a lot. That was very helpful.