1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

place value - primary 3 (Year 2)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by klt1990, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Im a PGCE student and have been doing place value with the children, such as, understanding HTU etc. but now she wants me to move onto adding and subtracting place value. This may sound silly but how do I go about that? Am I looking too much into it? lol

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I would suggest getting yourself a book such as this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Mathematics-Young-Children-Foundation/dp/141294726X
    Haylock and Cockburn explain things very clearly.
    As far as using their knowledge of place value to add and subtract, this will depend on what they can already do.
    Ideally you would want them to be able to partition numbers into tens and one; count on and back in tens from any number. This will lead into addition of two 2-digit numbers by partitioning the second number (as in keeping the first number whole and counting on in tens then ones).It is easier not to cross tens boundaries at first so choose the numbers carefully.
    I would suggest always having structured apparatus available such as Numicon, Dienes, bundles of straws, 10p and 1p coins or arrow cards that children can manipulate.
    Carrie [​IMG]