1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pizzas - good value for money or a wholesale rip off?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Duke of York, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Have you ever eaten one in the UK that you felt was good value for money? I don't eat pizza often as I've found it to be vastly overated as a meal in the UK, but on holiday, in places where they know how to cook it, it's not a bad choice for an affordable meal. My favourite has always been a seafood calzone, but I've never found a restaurant in the UK that offers it.

I picked up a pizza in Tesco today. The box it was in hid most of it, but the label on the box said it was a top of the range one. When I opened it, I tried to imagine how many of the ingredients they'd remove to make it a bottom of the range one. It cost £3.25, but I reckon could have made it in bulk for less than 50p as a shop client. Probably 25p as a retailer.

A month ago I attended a course for the company I work for who allow a £20 meal cost. We went as a group to Pizza Express where I discovered that a pizza and a pint of beer took us over the expenses limit, thanks to the service charge.

I've dined on steak that cost much less and haven't been ripped off by the company's service charge racket in which the waiters don't get a penny. Wild horses wont get me to eat in Pizza Express again, but downmarket, neither will a supermarket ever entice me to buy one of their pizzas again.

Am I alone in thinking this sorry excuse of a meal is being exploited by the rip off merchants? Why do you imagine people tolerate it?

JU3fromLeics likes this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I agree they can be an extremely expensive form of toasted cheese open sandwich. They can also be pretty dull or nasty if badly made.

However we have a small local pizza place, run by a lovely Polish / Neapolitan couple, where the pizzas are freshly made using quality ingredients with a proper pizza oven and I do think they offer good value. About half the price of your Pizza Express experience!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

We have a brilliant pizza available here, made fresh in an Italian bistro called Gino's, Gino was from Naples but sadly passed away 3 years ago. However his recipes live on.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Pizza in Naples, even from takeaway holes-in-the-wall, is one of the best things I've ever eaten.

5. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I agree Emily - having 'done' Herculaneum once we were fainting from hunger and Mr C was being fussy about where to eat, not fancying the look of the various pizza places

Exasperated, I dragged him off the street and into a place full of characters from The Godfather - where you really wanted to sit with your back to the wall - and, like you, had one of the best things I've ever eaten. Straight from the wood fired oven it was orgasmic.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My husband built a pizza oven in our garden and I love it. We have friends who live in our village who have similar age children so on a Friday night we have pizza parties. I make dough and tomato sauce and then people build their own pizzas. They taste amazing and its so much more fun than a sit down dinner.

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

mmmmmmmmm

8. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

There are some local Italian restaurants who do good pizzas at the price of a normal main course, but I've never been impressed by any takeaway pizzas I've had in the UK, they're VERY expensive and usually suffering from a soggy bottom. The pre-packaged ones in shops are expensive and not very good, in my experience, even when they claim to be fancypants ones, however we're very keen on the ones from the fresh pizza counters in Tesco, Asda and Morrisons. Tesco in particular put tons of toppings on them, and the bases are always nice and crispy. They're £2-£2.50 for a 10 inch pizza which is enough for us when combined with a salad on the side.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

They can be very disappointing in supermarkets but we do occasionally have them in emergencies. It's not always possible to have a home-made one quickly: you need a couple of hours at least for the base.

Pizza Express are the best of the bunch in terms of the chains. I usually find I can eat and have a drink for a little over a tenner which isn't bad for eating out. Pizza Hut pizzas are grim. I haven't had a Domino's for years so I can't comment.

Nothing beats a home made pizza though, with a slow proved base, a homemade tomato sauce and good cheese on top. I haven't got a wood fired oven but our oven gets pretty hot and I'm always pleased with the results.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I like Pizza Hut. It's a whole different dish to proper pizza but a guilty pleasure nonetheless!

11. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

I find it best to buy several pizzas when they are on offer.
    They keep reasonably in the freezer anyway.
    Pasta with homemade pasta sauce is always an alternative.

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Once a week we have a pizza either fro Tescos or Aldi and never pay much more than £1.00. Also we get ones from Iceland for around £1.00. We serve it with salad and home made oven chips. One of our favourite quick meals although not as tastynas the ones in Spain, but for £1.00 a bargain.

13. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I'm not going to lie, takeaway pizza is one of our extravagant and indulgent treats.
    We will buy enough to last us a couple of days, this is just our way of justifying the expense.
    I don't really like shop-bought frozen pizzas or the ones that they make for you at ASDA.

To answer the question, yes they are a rip-off but you often get vouchers and offers that make it a little softer on the wallet!

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Since I stopped teaching and work from home we have homemade pizza about once a week a so. It's really easy to do using the food processor and fairly cheap too. The main faff is the time taken except it's 10 mins then nothing for an hour or so, then another 5 mins then nothing for an hour, then 15 mins putting them together, so it fits perfectly with wandering away from the computer for a cup of tea and a short break. half an hour max of effort for two big pizzas. It would be much more difficult if you work full time.

Because the rest of it is so cheap I get some of the most expensive mozzarella from the supermarket, it really is worth the extra. We went out for an above average pizza while on holiday recently, on the way out Mrs.M. was waxing lyrical about it and followed it up with "it wasn't as nice as yours though", major brownie points.

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

And if you do make your own, you could make three times as much dough and freeze what you don't use as balls of dough, ready to be defrosted and rolled/stretched out just before baking. If you've frozen some sauce as well you have an almost instant meal on your hands.

16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am about to try a recipe for a pizza that uses a chick pea flour base. If you go to YouTube and type in chick pea flour pizza recipe there is a good video by someone called Nadia