1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pizotifen - anyone use this to control migraines?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Cakemate, May 1, 2012.

1. My husband has always suffered quite badly with headaches and was on beta blockers for some years in an attempt to control the problem.
    Since weaning himself off these a few years ago his headaches have increased in both frequency and severity. He has undergone a number of tests and been prescribed various medications over the last 6 months.
    Today he has been prescribed Pizotifen. I have just Googled this drug (I know, I know!) and feel quite alarmed by the reported side effects. A number of users of this drug have reported large and fast weight gains, amongst other side effects, including drowsiness and mood changes. However, the majority of posters on the health forums do say that the Pizotifen is helping their headaches.
    Does anyone here have personal experience, good or bad, of this medication?

2. My husband has always suffered quite badly with headaches and was on beta blockers for some years in an attempt to control the problem.
    Since weaning himself off these a few years ago his headaches have increased in both frequency and severity. He has undergone a number of tests and been prescribed various medications over the last 6 months.
    Today he has been prescribed Pizotifen. I have just Googled this drug (I know, I know!) and feel quite alarmed by the reported side effects. A number of users of this drug have reported large and fast weight gains, amongst other side effects, including drowsiness and mood changes. However, the majority of posters on the health forums do say that the Pizotifen is helping their headaches.
    Does anyone here have personal experience, good or bad, of this medication?

3. I was prescribed Pizotifin recently and it did work well to prevent migraines.
    I was hungrier and so had to remember not just to eat when I felt hungry but think about what I had already eaten that day. This took a bit of getting used to as going without food has often triggered my migraines in the past.
    It definitely made me sleepy and so I needed to take it in the evening rather than just before bedtime. At the start I took one in the morning, felt groggy all day, went to bed at 4.30pm and apart from getting up for less than an hour around 11pm, slept through to the next morning.
    I have managed to come off now though, mainly because my renewed Mirena coil is now stopping my worst (monthly) migraines - unfortunately not an option for your husband.

4. Fantastic stuff! I was prescribed it last September for facial migraines and it was effective within 5 days. I had to increase the dose to 1mg as I started to get some symptoms after about a month. Since then I haven't looked back! I take it at 9.30pm so haven't noticed it making me sleepy as I usually go to bed about 11ish anyway. I have not suffered from any side effects and would definitely recommend it to anyone with hard to control migraines. No other migraine tablets worked for me.

I know that the future plan is to reduce the dosage and stop taking them altogether but I'm not looking forward to that! I recently lost half a pack of tablets (at a weekend) and couldn't get hold of any more for 3 days. After 48 hours without the migraine was back. It then took about 4 days to get back to normal.

5. Thank you both - your responses are encouraging.

The side effect of drowsiness, if it can be harnessed, may be no bad thing, as my husband is a poor sleeper, but I know he'll be concerned if weight gain became an issue.

But, of course, getting his headaches and their accompanying visual disturbance under control is the main thing.

Thanks again.

6. Hi, can you tell me how often you have the headaches? My daughter aged 20 suffers terribly from migraine but they only happen about every 3 months. Twice when she was younger we took her to A & E thinking she must have meningitis as her symptoms were so severe. Do you take these pills every day or can you just take them when you feel a headache coming on? So far all the tablets she has been prescribed have either not worked or made it worse.

7. At the moment my husband's having a headache with dizziness and visual disturbance about once a week. He has been tested for TIAs, tumours and various other possible causes, but the doctors are now firmly convinced it is migraine-related.
    Pizotifen is taken daily as a preventative, not just when the first symptoms start. It seems common to start on a smallish dose and build gradually to the recommended dosage in an attempt to lessen the possible side effects. We're hoping it will do the trick.

8. Thanks for replying. I don't think it would be good for my daughter from what you say. I hope your husband responds well to it, being ill so often must be awful. I worry about my daughter having such violent symptoms plus there is no obvious trigger. She hasn't been tested for anything specific but 3 G.P.'s have said over the years that it's definitely migrane so I suppose we have to trust them.