1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PIVATs and National Curriculum Levels

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by LGR22, Dec 14, 2011.

1. I teach Y 5/6 in a mainstream school. We have used PIVATs to assess children who are working below level 3, and have done for the last few years. I am puzzled by the anomoly between the national curriculum levels and PIVATs levels. I have recently assessed a child's independent writing at level 2, but according to PIVATs, they have been assessed as working at p6.I have found this before with another child, I assessed her writing at level 3, but on PIVATS, she hadn't reached level 1. Her SATs writing paper was assessed as a level 3, so it's not just me assessing too high! I'm confused

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

PIVATS, like NC levels are "best fit". Have YOU assessed this child using PIVAT'S? (just you say that the child <u>has been</u> assessed) It could be the person assessing is a hard marker or new to the system and has assessed to the level where the pupil has a "gap" rather than "best fit".
    You need to use the level descriptors (at the right hand side of the page) to find the level <u>then</u> look at the sub levels to determine the level more accurately. The level descriptors for level 1, 2 and 3 are the same as the NC level descriptors, the level descriptors for P levels in PIVATS are the same as the P level descriptors so there should be no major discrepancy.
    I have however found that P level 8 is harder for a pupil to achieve than NC level 1 in several areas.

3. I too use PIVATS in my special school, although I used to assess solely against NC attainment targets and level descriptors in mainstream primary. I would query how a child who was producing writing at NC level 3 could possibly come out at P8. There may well be some gaps which need addressing at P8 but there cannot be that many if this child can also produce writing at level 3. I would advise that you try to assess this child yourself as there is no substitute for that. Also, could you please clarify which P8 indicators she has not achieved and also which L3 indicators she has achieved? That may help clear up the situation. If you could do that I would be happy to respond further.

4. You may also find it useful to look at my resources which try to correlate PIVATS and APP statements; there is one for writing and another for reading. Obviously, APP only begins at level one but I think you should still be able to use these to get a good idea of where the gaps are.

One of the previous responses stated that PIVATS is best fit. Whilst that is true, I know from experience that with some pupils it is incredibly difficult to get a best fit, particularly in the case of pupils with ASD. I would say that if there are only 1 or two indicators missing at P8 but the child has achieved all of Levels 1 and 2 and some of 3, the child is not working at P8. Give them what you feel is the most appropriate level and, if this is higher, give them targets to work on at the appropriate level, alongside extra work and support on the lower level skill. If, however, there are more gaps at P8, or if the gap is a significant one, then this child is not secure at P8 and should be supported to achieve at this level, perhaps with other work at the higher levels alongside this when appropriate.

I hope this is helpful. As I stated in my previous response though, I will be very happy to respond further if you have any specifics or examples you can share.

5. dzil

SENteaching info: What you are recomending is what I understand as "best fit". If a pupil is able to manage most, but not all, of a lower level level and also most, but not all of a higher level they should be scored at the higher level and a not made of the "gap" incase further teaching, amelioration or simply noting the problem is needed for that area. A PIVATS assessment may highlight difficulties in specific areas. If say the pupil can not use their hands, you would credit them with the handwriting part of the "Spelling Focus" as long as they had achieved the other part (perhaps through using a keyboard, mouse or access device)
    I suspect, as the op indicated, the assessment has not been done in the way recomended. In the introduction to the manual it states that the system was designed to "complement and work alongside statutory assessment" It should be used as a summative assesment and it is based on "the revised performance criteria" (2001) commonly known as "the P scales".
    Incidentally PIVATS stands for Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting so the whole thing should be in capitals, although, as it sounds plural I always want to put the final s in lower case!

6. dzil

<font size="2">SENteaching info: What you are recommending
    is what I understand as "best fit". If a pupil is able to manage
    most, but not all, of a lower level and also most, but not all of a higher
    level they should be scored at the higher level and a note made of the
    "gap" in case further teaching, amelioration or simply noting the
    problem is needed for that area. A PIVATS assessment may highlight difficulties
    in specific areas which should be considered when assessing but should not prevent the pupil scoring as if they did not have that difficulty. If say the pupil can not use their hands, you would credit
    them with the handwriting part of the "Spelling Focus" as long as
    they had achieved the other part (perhaps through using a keyboard, mouse or
    access device). You would not score them at P1 just because they can't reach out and hold an object.</font>
    <font size="2">I
    suspect, as the op indicated, the assessment has not been done in the way recommended.
    In the introduction to the manual it states that the system was designed to
    "complement and work alongside statutory assessment" It should be
    used as a summative assessment and it is based on "the revised performance
    criteria" (2001) commonly known as "the P scales".</font>

Incidentally PIVATS stands
    for Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting so the whole thing
    should be in capitals, although, as it sounds plural I always want to put the
    final s in lower case!

7. dzil

sorry don't know why that posted twice although the second attempt has better spelling so maybe it went whilst I was spell checking????

8. I take your points, thank you. However, simply saying to someone 'Don't worry, just do best fit' may not be that helpful if they are unfamiliar with the assessment materials, as it appears to be the case here from the original question. I was simply trying to share what I would do. I don't claim to be an expert in PIVATS but was just trying to help. I am sure your comments will be helpful too. I agree completely with your example but have often found it is not always that obvious as to why a pupil has not yet achieved a certain indicator. With regard to best fit, my understanding of PIVATS is that the scoring process allows for pupils who have a spiky profile, ie you can tick off indicators from various levels but it is very difficult to apply best fit for them. For other pupils, best fit will certainly be appropriate. I still think that until we have further information on which indicators at P8 are missing, and any extenuating circumstances such as those you have mentioned, it is difficult to comment further.

9. Thank you for all your replies. I am beginning to get an idea of how PIVATS should be used. I am now more than sure than we are using it in the wrong way. I have looked again at the folder and it's now my understanding that the statements on the right hand side should be used as a guide to the overall level and the statements on the left hand side should indicate where the child is within that level. I am pretty sure that we are using it the other way round. The child has not achieved that level unless all the left hand side statements have been highlighted. This is being done almost on a weekly basis, with the statements being used to drive any one-to-one work with the child. I am Assessment Leader in school, and I am going to have to attack this in the new year. I don't have much experience of PIVATS being used to assess children in my class, as I teach year 6 in a mainstream school and it's very rare that the children are working below level 3 by the time they are in my care. I can't give specific examples of the child who I assessed at level 3 in writing, but was working at P8 in PIVATS, as this was a child in my class from 2 years ago. She did achieve level 3 in her SATs though! As I said before, this suggests that we are not using PIVATS in the right way. I am trying to gain as much knowledge as I can before I approach the Head and SENCO to suggest that we need to look at it again.

10. dzil

Hi LG,
    Yes, you've got the right idea, PIVATS is best fit, use the right hand side statements as a guide. When you find one that is about right use the left for an idea of where they are within the level . For support when you tackle your SENCO read the "how and when PIVATS should be used" section in the manual (It's page 5 on blue pages in the one I use.... mine has a black cover, I know there is at least one later version with a different coloured cover where the relevant info. may be on a different numbered page. )
    It's also on the PIVATS web page link through the resources on this site
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/What-is-PIVATS-6002185/
    Useful quotes from that paragraph include (bold and underline are my emphasis)
    PIVATS is an approach that may be used annually, as a baseline assessment or as a yearly measurement of added value
    PIVATS is intended for summative assessment
    Teachers should use PIVATS to make rounded judgements about their pupils' attainment to apply "best fit" judgement.
    <u>It is not</u> intended to be used for day-to-day assessment, nor should it replace the finely graded assessment schemes used for individual assessment and curriculum planning
    Theres also a useful paragraph on the PIVATS site under FAQs "Can PIVATS be used as a curriculum model"
    "It is crucial that PIVATS, although a valuable assessment tool, is not used as a curriculum model. <u>It is extremely inadvisable to use those performance indicators not achieved as the child&rsquo;s next learning objectives or to work through them systematically until all are achieved."</u>
    Happy to PM with you about specific examples of how we use it in our special school. We've been using it annually for at least 10 years now. It's a great tool when used well and compliments the many others in a teacher's kit.