1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pitched the lesson too high- chances ruined?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by daisy2019, Feb 1, 2019.

1. daisy2019

daisy2019 New commenter

I had an interview today at an independent secondary school which is a selective school. The day consisted of a few interviews followed by the observed lesson of a Year 12 class. The topic of the lesson was on a part of the course that students sometimes find a little complex. I had some activities which they could do in my lesson plan.

However when I planned the lesson, I assumed that the students had done the previous part of the module in the specification which builds to this and which normally helps with conception of this topic. It was only yesterday when I asked, that I found out that they hadn’t completed those previous parts of the course.

I found this out on my way home when I saw the email back, and thus I spent the evening tweaking some parts of my lesson but I am very used to delivering this topic after students have already learnt the other stuff first since it builds on from that and can be difficult to understand if not.

The lesson proved a little difficult for students to understand. The highest achievers in the group ‘got it’ but I think that some did not. I also ran out of time since I spent the first part of the lesson teaching students briefly about the previous topic (explaining also that they would cover it later in the course) which would lead on to understanding today’s topic. I ran out of time and only got through some of what I wanted to. I am worried that I pitched the lesson too high. When asked how I think it went by the observer afterwards, I admitted what I felt.

The interviews went well but the lesson did not. Would this dampen my chances completely?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

It's impossible to answer your question without the answer to this.
    "Who else was invited to interview?"

If you are one of six highly capable individuals then shrug and give it up. If you're Number One in a field of one then the coin might land on the right side for you (or they'll keep tossing it until it does).

More importantly don't let this setback mean you give up on asking for the pay you deserve. If they offer the job to you they want you, make sure you don't run yourself down over a class you've never seen before.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I agree with the above post but would remind you that you'll always need to teach the first bit of any module when you get the job so start looking at Good ways to introduce different topics so that you don't come unstuck when you're employed.

agathamorse likes this.