1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pirongs diary

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by cwright1989, Jul 3, 2011.

1. HI,

Also a PGCE student this september so getting my supplies bit by bit.
    I got my Pirong diary about a week ago. I got a nice 'teacher's planner' A4 and it certainly looks good but I think there is a lot of wasted space. I also got an A4 day-to-view diary which is really useful. And a wall planner which is totally rubbish (so avoid getting them from Pirong!)

Overall, they seem pretty good but I do think they'll be pretty bulky but I like my A4 over the A5.

2. Im confused now because the primary teachers one only comes in A4 so if I wanted A5 Id have to get the normal teachers one. Would you reccommend the primary teachers then??
    Do we need another one as well then?

3. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

As a stationery addict myself I realise this advice may have little effect BUT I would advise you not to waste your money on a planner this year. Your university will have very strict proformas you will have to follow for planning and you are not in school all year so much of the planner will be wasted.

4. What would you suggest then? A diary??

5. I've just finished my PGCE and I have to agree with quietlydetermined.

I can't speak for Primary PGCE but for Secondary don't waste your money buying a teachers planner. Your uni will expect you to produce full lesson plans for your lessons (normally a side of A4).

A diary is a must though - I couldn't have lived without mine!

6. Right, I will buy a diary then! Thanks for your help! I am really enjoying buying stationary. Any other ideas of stuff I will need.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm worried about how many diaries and planners some of you think you need. And that you think you need a special teacher's one. You really don't!

You might, if you are that sort of person, need a normal academic year diary. The sort you can pick up cheaply in a supermarket, staples or WHSmiths. Or you can buy a cute/trendy/fancy/weird one if you prefer. That is it. Nothing special.

If you have got all the way through A Levels and a degree without needing a diary to remember where you have to go and what you have to do, then you are unlikely to use one for your PGCE for more than the first couple of weeks. You just won't have the time/inclination.

No point filling in a timetable with all your lessons in your first placement, if you want the diary/planner to last for your second and third ones. The chance of having the same timetable is pretty much zero.

A planner will be a total waste of your time and money. A large A4 page per day diary will be as well.

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Only one?! Mine had to be 3!!

9. I've read this thread with interest after spending ages looking at planners!!
    So a cheap poundland day to a page academic diary will do then? Save me spending £10+ on something that won't be of any use!
    Thanks! [​IMG]

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Stacey, yes!

11. That sounds good, although someone put a link on another thread about edu... something and they do really diaries that have planner bits too and other bits. I am trying to resist buying one in favour of poundland

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You compromise and buy a fancy one in WHSmiths!

13. lol, too late! I bought a nice diary/planner from an online shop. They had a preview section and once I looked through it, I wanted it :) The diary will help me be organised in uni time too so I figure its worth it and I love stationary! The prettier the better

14. See, you can't just say that Adarsta without giving us a link to the pretty diary...I'll get diary envy without ever even knowing how fab it is or isn't!
    I'm thinking poundland bargain diary well decorated by my own fair hands (but I do keep looking at all the planners and getting very excited!!).

15. I'd say get a cheapish diary then see what happens on your course. I used diary as bog basic and then we were expected to produce daily diaries in placement, a side of A4 detailing everything being taught/needed doing/meetings/evening work for every day. Mind that was years ago.
    Also the uni shop might have specific ones the course recommends?

16. http://educationalplanners.co.uk/primary.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_looped.tpl&product_id=63&category_id=1
    Lol, I thought that a B5 was a nice compromise between A4 and portability. It is a planner but has dated weeks so is like a diary with planner bits.

17. gsp06sk

gsp06sk New commenter

In Sept all the unions give you a free diary when you sign-up with them. I ended up with three so dont waste your money.