1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pirates topic planning?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by claire7359, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Just changing my topic this term to go along with the children's sudden interest in pirates.

Has anyone got any topic planning on this theme they could possibly share?

Know any good pirate themed books you would recommend for me to use?

Thank you
    Claire

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

"Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC" is popular with my class. The captain orders his crew to find all the letters of the alphabet, and they do, in alphabetical order. The children like trying to spot the letter in the picture and the text is nice because it's written in rhyme (apart from at the end, where the rhyme only works if you're looking for the American "zee"). Good if you're doing work on letter names.

My class also like these two stories: "The Night Pirates" by Peter Harris and "Captain Wag The Pirate Dog" by Michael Terry.

3. Thanks, I will go on amazon and order these books now.
    Thank you! claire

4. Hello there
    We have got lots of free pirate resources on TES Connect that you might find helpful.
    Check them out...
    Pirate resources

5. We did pirates recently....books - Port Side Pirates (comes with CD of the song). Mrs Pirate (short & simple but they really lke it) 1001 Pirate Things to spot (not a story, but fab pictures)...go on Amazon and serach Pirates and you get loads of things, not just books (bunting, hooks etc). The children looked with me and we ordered from what looked good, looked at reviews etc. They'd have had me spending more but I had to put a limit (as I was paying!)

We made a pirate ship outside, treasure island role play area, lots of maths activities - directions on a big map draw in chalk and a pirate beebot, drew lots of maps, learned new words such as anchor and sail, dressed up, made telescopes etc etc. Had a pirate party at the end which we did as enterprise.

6. Our children like this song and it's quite good for getting them to think of words that rhyme:
    When i was one, i had some fun the day i went to sea.
    I climbed aboard the pirate ship and the captain said to me,
    We're going this way, that way, forwards and backwards over the Irish sea.
    A bottle of rum to warm my tum,
    And that's the life for me!
    Our children like to think of different words to rhyme with the numbers. Although be careful when you get to number two!!

7. I have pirates planning if you send me your email address.

I like using Captain Flinn and the pirate dinosaurs as well as The Night Pirates.

8. Thanks that would be really useful.

my email address is clairedur@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks again, cant wait to see your planning
    claire

9. You have mail

10. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

Is it too late to get a copy? My e mail is vm2@live.co.uk. Thanks

11. If you wouldnt mind sending another copy I would really appreciate it.
    thanks
    charlinc@yahoo.co.uk

12. have sent it

13. have sent it

14. have sent it

15. thank you :)