1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pirate/ Treasure Topic

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by starjin5, May 27, 2011.

1. Hi All
    Happy half term :) I plan on on doing Pirates and Treasure as my topic next term, and I'd like any suggestions on good books to use-fiction/non fiction (for reception). Also if you have done this topic before I'd greatly appreciate any input or any suggestions/ideas.
    Thanks
    x

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. Captain Flinn and the pirate dinosaurs series are very popular with my nursery class.

And The Night Pirates is briliant.

Have fun with the topic, has been one of my favourites to teach

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. I have worked in schools with large numbers of Somali children and I just cringe when pirates come up as a topic. OK, so I know it's seen as a fantasy topic, and it is often well-liked by children because of the treasure and the swords, but, in fact, piracy is a living issue and a current problem which involves people killing each other for ransom.

6. is it ok to do a topic on robbers? criminals? kidnappers?
    Am i over analysing - probably ?!
    Do i love my job? Yes
    i am a role model to children and would not dream of doing a topic on pirates
    Are they missing out? Possibly
    But they are having fun learning about for example super hero and people that help other people!