1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pipite uses his get out of jail free card

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-34505334

"The president of the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu has expressed his anger after his deputy pardoned himself and 13 other convicts while he was out of the country.

Speaker Marcellino Pipite was one of 14 MPs - half of the country's parliament - who were convicted last Friday of giving and receiving corrupt payments over a vote of no confidence in a previous government. With President Baldwin Lonsdale out of the country on Saturday, Pipite used his delegated powers to gazette a pardon for himself and his fellow defendants"

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

No takers then? Might I conclude from this that we've all been ground so much as to anticipate corruption at the highest levels to be the norm in the modern world we live in? Is the President of Vanuatu a sole voice in the wilderness?

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You do find the nice obscure things D of Y...but i llike that snippet.

4. Ambivalence

Ambivalence New commenter

I think that corruption is endemic as we become more wealthy. It's just harder to get away with it in some places.

5. Ambivalence

Ambivalence New commenter

I think that corruption is endemic as we become more wealthy. It's just harder to get away with it in some places.

6. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

That'll teach him for going away for the weekend! It is shocking really, but I can see something similar happening here. Those in power have learned over the years that the rise in social media just means the commoners huff and puff more. Nothing actually happens to stop them or punish them. It has made them worse I think.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I wonder what little or big corrupt secrets still lurk in Westminster?