1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pinterest - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by patternandsurface, Oct 16, 2018.

1. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

Pinterest's original intention and design was for it to be a place to pin favourite websites or images to specific boards - useful for bookmarking, collecting, curating and creative people.
    Whilst it's as large as ever and packed with fantastic stuff, its begining to annoy me.
    In the past few years it seems to have lost that promise or ability to retain where original images have come from, original source websites and so on.
    Thankfully you can search the image itself through google to try and locate its original location - but at times this does not work.
    Additionally students use it more as a cheat sheet, taking images, copying them as they are and not going further to explore and experiment. I'm all for practising drawing or collating reference images, but this is beyond that at this point I think.

How do you feel pinterest has grown?
    What are your thoughts on using it in the classroom and students accessing it?

2. shavenhobo

shavenhobo New commenter

It's great as a planning tool to support students and collective project ideas.

patternandsurface likes this.
  3. mikemichael9

mikemichael9 New commenter

Agree with Shavenhobo

patternandsurface likes this.
  4. ArtThinking

ArtThinking New commenter

I started to use it as a way of cutting down of printing, cutting out and sticking sources in, which students took too much time over instead of getting on with creative stuff - its still a great place to gather sources and keep them with a brief comment/response

5. beth_silva

beth_silva New commenter

According to this:
    > In the past few years it seems to have lost that promise or ability to retain where original images have come from, original source websites and so on
    Totally "Nay". I'm pretty upset with the whole concept since I have good friends among artists. In my opinion, pinterest became a some kind of a jpeg pit, where good ideas are dying horribly without rightful credits and owners.
    (sorry, being subjective)