1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pink pudding!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by naughtybut nice, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hello all you knowledgeable folks out there! My Mum used to make a concoction of jelly and carnation evaporated milk. My vague memory is that she repeatedly stirred the jelly just before it set and then, using a food mixer for what seemed like ages, mixed in the evaporated milk. It eventually turned into the most delicious moussey type pudding. I'm reluctant to try it without knowing the ratio of jelly to milk. I'd be very grateful if anyone can help.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Sounds similar to something I used to make - make a jelly then when it is beginning to set (well - when it's properly cold), use a hand blender to whizz in half a tub of fromage frais. Whizz it up til it goes frothy, and it'll set before it all pops.

Similar, but maybe helpful?

3. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

It was called milk jelly in our house. Make up the jelly with only half of the water. Add evaporated milk to the amount stated on the jelly packet. Whisk like mad until cold and poor into jelly mould. Serve with remaining evaporated milk. You've taken me back over thirty years!

My favourite childhood pudding was Swiss roll and custard. Had to be chocolate Swiss roll and Birds' custard. Nice with dream topping or sterilised cream too. Nearly bought a tin of sterilised cream recently, but stopped myself putting it in the basket as it's Lent.

4. Ooh, wiemaranerlover, that's it! What is the ratio, please? Do you use a 400g tin of milk with the jelly? Do you put in half the recommended water in the jelly? I'm excited. Mum used to make a lemon one, topped with tinned steralized cream and then a flaked flake. Scrumdidlyumptious.
    My favourites were - banana custard with jam, trifle made with tinned fruit, swiss roll drenched in the juice with sherry, topped with tinned custard and tinned cream!! AND the 'pink' or 'yellow' pudding, of course.
    Thanks also to lilachard as I may try that recipe too.

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

No idea- I've only ever bought evaporated milk for Indian sweets for school! Why don't you try and let us know?

6. wiemaranerlover

Your mum and my mum must belong in the same era NbN! My mum did exactly the same - perhaps this is why I prefer coffee made with soya milk, it tastes sweeter and doesn't need extra sugar.

7. Many thank yous to all who replied. I plan to make it for a meal I'm making towards the end of March, as my sister is one of the gang. If it's a success, I can't wait to see her face. We've discussed it many times but neither of us has remembered the recipe properly and so been brave enough to try it. I'll let you know.

8. I can't help it - BOYCOTT NESTLE!!!
    I have for about 30 years and I don't care if it isn't hurting Nestle that much, They are disgusting and deliberately choose to act illegally, immorally and murderously for increased profits and I just can't help them with a single penny!
    And no, I am not involved in babymilkaction! I started this boycott the same year I joined CND, back when we really believed and the doomsday clock stood at 11:56 - way before climate change got added.

Now we are back at 11:55 and no-one seems to know or care what that means! I feel so old!

9. From where? Where? I've been looking for this for ages and can't find it in my local supermarkets. I miss it. Creamy and sweet, but not too sweet. Mmmmmm.

10. wiemaranerlover

Our local very small Asda in an old Yorkshire mining village stocks it. [​IMG] I shall get some for over Easter and think very fondly of my grandmother whilst I eat it. Hope you find some!

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Absolutely!