1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pink grapefruits and Seville oranges!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by rosaespanola, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

My local greengrocer has pink grapefruits and Seville oranges at a pretty low price at the moment, so needless to say I bought a bagful today. I'm planning to make some orange, grapefruit and ginger marmalade and some grapefruit and rosewater sorbet and I also have a recipe for a grapefruit and pistachio cake which I might make,
    and if I have time I'm going to try an orange, honey and cardamon
    steamed pudding. Anyone got any other interesting suggestions? I can always go back to the grocer for more supplies if necessary!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Pink grapefruit and campari sorbet. Delish!

3. *faints in ecstasy*
    Seriously, that sounds divine!!!
    (apologies, I am being completely unhelpful)

4. rosaespanola

Ha...anything in particular or just in general? I'm just mildly concerned everyone who eats my cooking will be fed up of oranges and grapefruit by the time I'm done with them!

5. Oh, all of it! But if pushed, I'd say the cake in particular.
    Never possible!

6. rosaespanola

We'll see! I think I've got enough willing volunteers to eat my baking so the risk of them getting fed up of it is fairly low.
    I made the cake once before and discovered that I'd been completely correct when I was making it and said "that's a ridiculous amount of bicarb of soda it says to put in, surely that can't be right?", so it tasted very peculiar, but I think if I follow my instincts rather than the recipe it should turn out really well!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Pink grapefruit is fab in prawn cocktail.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Pink grapefruit is lovely in a salad with watercress. Peel the fruit, then segment by holding in your hand and cutting between the membrane with a small, sharp knife. Put in a bowl then squeeze remaining juice from leftover membrane. Make a dressing by whisking some of the juice with dijon mustard, crushed garlic, s&p and good olive oil. Toss watercress with fruit then dress and top with toasted pumpkin seeds.
    Sublime. Great with duck or oily fish.

9. rosaespanola

I never thought of doing it in a salad, that does sound lovely!
    Grapefruit, pistachio & rosewater muffins are cooling as I speak. I'm going to be very popular at our departmental meeting tomorrow [​IMG]

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There's a load of recipes using pink grapefruit in today's Mail on Sunday You magazine. See if you can get a copy or if available online.

11. rosaespanola

Excellent, thanks!