1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pingxiang, Jiangxi: any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tigertiger2001, Jan 2, 2019.

1. tigertiger2001

tigertiger2001 New commenter

Hi there

I may have the chance to teach EFL in a place called Pingxiang, Jiangxi, China.
    I can't find out anything about the area online, and what I can see appears to suggest it's not a great environment. I'm not looking for Shanghai Nights but can anyone comment? If you've worked in a small town in China before it would be good to hear your thoughts!
    Even if it's a dull town I may not mind, I'd just like to have some idea what I would be letting myself in for.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you want to experience "REAL China" outside the Shanghai/Beijing bubble and want an adventure then just go for it. You may end up the only "White man in the village" and children will stop and look at you in the street, but it will be interesting.

Just do the usual checks on work visa and health insurance offered in the package.

3. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

The Chinese countryside can be a daunting place but as the febster says if you are the adventurous type, very rewarding. I would recommend learning some Mandarin before you go and certainly very quickly after you arrive. A friend worked quite a long way outside of Ningbo in a local school and now goes back once a year to take school supplies etc and has made many friends in the village. But as always, its horse for courses!

4. tigertiger2001

tigertiger2001 New commenter

I thought that might be the case: I was hoping to hear some stories I guess! If there are any do share! I'll find out more in the application process!

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would check the ESLcafe, it would be better suited to the type of job you will doing in China.

http://eslcafe.com/