1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pine Mouth

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ljr, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ljr

ljr New commenter

I did post this on Health & wellbeing, but was advised to post it here....
    I have been experiencing a horrid bitter taste in my mouth for a few days, and I Googled this as a symptom. I was amazed to find that this is quite common after eating pine nuts, (which I had with my meal on Tuesday evening) and indeed is called - Pine Mouth. I have eaten lots of pine nuts in the past & have never been affected, has anyone else heard of this or been affected?

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

How odd...never heard of it, I'm afraid.

3. I have! I read about it on the Waitrose forum. A customer was complaining about pine nuts leaving a bitter taste in her mouth. As I remember it was something to do with a specific variety, not all varieties do this.

4. There is a lot of info available on which pine nuts do and don't, wiki has some good info.
    It's the Chinese ones that cause it apparently. But it isn't easy to tell which you are getting when eating out.
    These days I ask because Pine Mouth is disgusting!

5. There was an article in the paper recently that non edible pine nuts have been mixed with edible ones. The effects last about 3 weeks, apparently, and there's nothing you can do to remove the taste.

6. ljr

ljr New commenter

Thank you for all the information - I have found out a lot more about the condition now. Its been a week so far, everything tastes really nasty, but the silver lining is that I've lost 3 lbs - there seems very little point in eating!