1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pimary basic skills.What does it involve?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Ostpreussen, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hi,
    A tutor agency has asked me to teach a 9 year old boy primary basic skills.Wonder if anyone is primary tranied/ experienced and can tell me what this would involve?
    I am a secondary German speciaist and just wonder if I should pass this one on.

2. Hi,
    A tutor agency has asked me to teach a 9 year old boy primary basic skills.Wonder if anyone is primary tranied/ experienced and can tell me what this would involve?
    I am a secondary German speciaist and just wonder if I should pass this one on.

3. I think you should listen to your instincts to pass this one on. He would benefit from someone who really understands the primary curriculum, the small steps he needs to make as he progresses, and the best ways to help him learn this. Whilst I'm sure you have a good grasp of the basic skills personally, it is a very different matter to be able to teach this effectively, especially if he is already struggling. If there is no one else available, I'd recommend buying and reading books aimed at primary trainee teachers and ks1-2 revision guides - just as starting points.