1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pilates

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lapinrose, Jan 28, 2012.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

As you know Belle, I have back problems and everyone has said Pilates will help. Well I tried twice and both times it made my back worse. They were proper sessions taken by qualified instructors. So not doing that any more!!

2. Pilates is a great way of developing core strength and helping to stretch muscles, without being high impact.
    However, it can be hit or miss when you're actually experiencing pain in a particular area. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes it worse.
    I know nothing about a pilates machine or how it works, but my best friend is a fully qualified pilates instructor and I know she asks new clients about any injuries or ailments that they have before she will allow them to participate in the class - and she wont allow certain people to participate unless they get permission from their GP. She then advises them to avoid particular exercises, or gives them an alternative or adaptation to a routine. I got a very strong telling off when I ignored her alternative for my hips and caused myself some pain!! Wont make that mistake again! She's well scary!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I will let you know Pobble. Haven't actually moved it to the gym and set it up yet, as I've not been quite ready to use it and it's been too cold (no heating in the gym which is fine when on treadmill but prob not so good on pilates). Am hoping to get it up and running by next weekend.

4. Sorry, Belle. In my enthusiasm I forgot you are still in the ouchy stage of recovery!
    I've been considering one for about 10 years, a few more weeks really won't hurt [​IMG]

Good luck!

5. BelleDuJour

I really do want to get on it asap Pobble!
    Am now struggling with withdrawal from the tramadol painkillers. Awful business. If anyone had said after 3 weeks' use I'd feel this dreadful coming off them I'd never have taken them.

6. Eugh! I had a shocker after just 2 days of Codeine. I would almost rather have stuck with the back pain! You have my sympathies.
    I went out in the snow this morning and gave my bag a few good punches and even managed some kicks, so I am looking forward to slightly less white weather now!

7. BelleDuJour

Indeed. It's so bad I'm taking one pill tonight just so I can sleep. Was so 'wired' last night after stopping the pills I didn't get to sleep until 5.30am [​IMG]